Using a custom font (Roboto) in my application?

Last Updated:

1. RED_

RED_ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I recently decided to remake my UI, I had text built into my ImageViews which I was advised against, so I have now gone with TextViews, however I would like to carry on using the Roboto font. Is it possible to do so?

I have already added "Roboto-Light" to the assets/fonts folder but I'm looking for an easy way to implement it since I want some TextViews to have the font and some to be standard.

Is there a way I can do it in the XML? So I can select individual TextViews rather than the entire application?

Thanks for any advice. Appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. fiveHellions

fiveHellions Active Member

You can set it in code the following way. Not sure if there is an easy way to set it in xml.

TextView text = (TextView) findViewById(R.id.textview03);
    Typeface tf = Typeface.createFromAsset(getAssets(), "fonts/Molot.otf");
    text.setTypeface(tf);

3. RED_

Is there a global way I can set it? So I don't have to keep adding code for every TextView? As in, I don't make the entire application one font, but I could it in a way that I can refer to it when I need to use it. The code you provided pulls the font from the folder, maybe I can attach it to a style? Then name the style in my XML.

When I think about it I guess it wouldn't be that bad.. just have quite a lot of TextViews. In fact some of my pages will have tonnes.

4. fiveHellions

fiveHellions Active Member

As far as I've seen you can only set the built in fonts as part of a style.

You can create a custom class the extends textview. Here is an example I found:

5. RED_

Thanks. I think I'll take the long route, do it by each ID like you posted the first time around. I looked into the other way and apparently it creates a memory leak. For now I think it's creates a bit more work. You have to use a hashmap or something to fix it.

Thanks again.