• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a Droid for WiFi calls in Europe

Exactly,

You can basically do it with just Goolge Voice and SIPgate...skipping all the pbxes and sipsorcery stuff. Using the those configs (pbxes/sorcery) lets you initiate the calls from sipdroid. However, if you just initiate the call from Google Voice instead (sipdroid will receive the call), then you are all set with just GV and a SIP account. You can either initiate the call from the GV mobile webpage and an Android app called GV Dialer. Both of those can be configured to initiate the call via your data connection - whereas the official Google app always makes a phone call to start the call.

Ohh - and I just stumbled across another GV dialer program a few days ago here

Reactions: cwsanfor
Upvote 0
Nahh, all those countries operate on GSM/UMTS so a phone bought in one country will operate in all those countries. And you can get quite good deals on SIM cards and prepaid data plans. Really good actually. For example, in Italy you can get 500Mb of data for only 8 Euros. But I hear you - so the WiFi method I suggested will work. Might be worth checking out the Prepaid International Wireless Wiki here

FYI - that is why those of us in the International community avoid Verizon like the plague. At least AT&T and T-Mobile have networks that are mostly compatible with Europe (3G is not, but EDGE gives reasonable performance).

Upvote 0
Exactly,

You can basically do it with just Goolge Voice and SIPgate...skipping all the pbxes and sipsorcery stuff. Using the those configs (pbxes/sorcery) lets you initiate the calls from sipdroid. However, if you just initiate the call from Google Voice instead (sipdroid will receive the call), then you are all set with just GV and a SIP account. You can either initiate the call from the GV mobile webpage and an Android app called GV Dialer. Both of those can be configured to initiate the call via your data connection - whereas the official Google app always makes a phone call to start the call.

Ohh - and I just stumbled across another GV dialer program a few days ago here

Will Google Voice Dialer work in another country with WiFi?

Upvote 0
I know it is late, but why not reply anyway. If some one can tell me how to efficiently follow a lot of forums and threads, PLEASE tell me.

Yes, the GV dialer programs will work outside the U.S. Your Google Voice account works outside the US. You just can register for one if you are overseas.

As a side note, GV dialer kept force closing on me. I'm now using GVoice Callback (free) and seems to work fine. There is another called GV Call Free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones