• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a family member's upgrade to go from 3G to 4G (WARNING!)

Mar 15, 2010
Just a heads up if you are planning to upgrade your phone using a family members' eligible upgrade: if you are upgrading to a 4G device from a 3G device, you need to bring in your family members' phone to the store, so they can give them a new SIM card. 4G devices use a different SIM card, so I couldn't use my 3G SIM card on my new phone.

Well the normal thing to do would be to put my SIM card in the new phone. But I got the Skyrocket which is LTE so it doesn't take my 3G SIM card. And since the upgrade was on the other number, it needed a new 3G SIM card since I was taking the upgrade off that #. As I said, I think the SIM card and upgrade information is linked together.

Upvote 0
Just a heads up if you are planning to upgrade your phone using a family members' eligible upgrade: if you are upgrading to a 4G device from a 3G device, you need to bring in your family members' phone to the store, so they can give them a new SIM card. 4G devices use a different SIM card, so I couldn't use my 3G SIM card on my new phone.
Same thing happened to me at a corporate store when I upgraded from iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 last year and now from iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4S. Rep told me they needed to activate the upgrade on the eligible line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones