• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using a micro SD card that was used in digital camera on a nexus one

skilng

Lurker
Jul 5, 2010
I have a very specific question for a unique situation, but I am sure some of you might be able to help....

Bottom line- If I properly remove my nexus one micro SD card, then use it to shoot pictures in my digital camera (Panasonic SZ7), when I try to use it in my nexus one again, I ALWAYS get the error message "Damaged SD card" and am forced to reformat. The SD card is FINE however- able to use in camera and read on PC. Something apparently happens when used in the camera, though all files appear unchanged and fine, except the nexus one will not mount/use it anymore.... maybe some hidden files the camera creates screws it up? IDFK. I don't care really... but how can i make this simple maneuver work?

The reason I want to transfer pictures from the camera to the phone is this- I will be travelling extensively, and will have access to WIFI networks, so want to upload pictures, using the phone, for safe storage/blog/share. I will not have a laptop and don't want to keep using internet cafe PCs... my ideal solution is something with my phone and camera ALONE. I thought I had it all figured out w/ the use of a micro SD adapter, but apparently the nexus one (or android in general) is a baby about reading an SD card it doesn't like for some fickle reason. Why it cannot read an otherwise perfectly good SD card is beyond me. Is it possible if I root my nexus one I can make it read the "damaged" card like the android platform should allow?

BTW I am aware of the following "workarounds" for getting pictures from the camera to my nexus one.... and do not like either.

1) Use an Eye-Fi Pro SD card in the camera, then use the buggy Eye-Fi Droid program to get the pics (not workable because I will be limited to a single rip off Eye-Fi Pro card I buy for over $100, a buggy program, etc.)

2) Do some crazy stuff, root the phone, and set up a system with some odd hardware to use the micro USB port on the phone to actually act as a host, and read the picture SD card itself... (just not what I want to do, and don't want more hardware; and why didn't google allow the unit to act as a USB host anyways?)

Any advice is helpful. The only thing I think I can hope for is a way to force android to read the SD card, possibly after rooting...?

Hi Skilng,

Welcome to Android Forum. :)

It never occured to me to do something like that! I was wondering if you've tried to use another SD card to see if you're experiencing the same issue as well? I'm not sure why this wouldn't work. It seems pretty basic for the Nexus to read the SD card that was used in a camera. I'll try to see if I face the same problem as well when I get home and put my SD card into my camera this evening.

Upvote 0
All digital cameras, including those built-in to handsets, should follow the DCIM standards for file naming/management. In theory there's no reason why simply swapping the card from one device to another shouldn't work.

Do you have a spare card to test with, to rule out (or identify) problems with a specific card or device? Try formatting it in the camera, taking a photo or two, then swap this into the N1. Is it read correctly? Also try formatting the card in the N1, use it in the camera as-is then swap it back. Does the problem still occur?

I can't test myself on my Hero as my cameras use CompactFlash, but I've taken photos on a Nokia N95 and viewed them on the Android device without a similar problem.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I somehow seem to have the same problem.
I recently bought a Kingston 16Gb SDHC microSD card. As is a known issue, these cards cannot be formatted on the Nexus One, so I format the card in FAT32 format on my PC, insert in my Nexus One and everything works fine.

However, cannot mount the SD Card to my Win7 PC. Win7 indicates that it cannot read the card because of unsupported format (while I just formatted it before on Win7 :-( .
Once I plugged the Nexus One to my PC, the Nexus One cannot unmount the SD Card anymore and gives "Damaged SD Card" error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thx
psouaga

Upvote 0
skilng, I have the exact same problem as you. I attempted the very same solution as you for the very same reasons. I have a Nexus One and a 4GB SanDisk microSD card. I put the card in the N1, formatted it, then removed it and put it in my Panasonic Lumix TS1 by way of an adapter.

The camera worked just fine, capturing pictures and videos as usual. I was also able to download the pictures to the PC using my SD card reader. But when I put the card back into the N1, I get the 'damaged card' error, and cannot find a way to proceed.

If anyone finds a workaround, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones