• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a Smartphone with NO mobile network connexion

sabbathox

Lurker
Jul 6, 2014
Hey There,

Quite new with the smatphones and android world...

I would like to be able to use my smartphone without being connected to my mobile operator. The only way I have found is to activate the AIRPLANE mode.

But... by doing so I'm unable to use some functionalities such as... bluetooth, radio application, ... I also find that strange that you can reactivate WIFI but not BLUETOOTH.

So I really would like to create my own mode/profile where just the connexion to an operator network is disabled.

Would it be possible to do that?

I'm currently using a SAMSUNG Y DUOS GT-S6102 with ANDROID 2.3.6

Thank for the hints...

Ox

The only way I have found is to activate the AIRPLANE mode. But... by doing so I'm unable to use some functionalities such as... bluetooth, radio application, ... I also find that strange that you can reactivate WIFI but not BLUETOOTH.

It depends on the phone, some will let you turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on in Airplane Mode.

Following the post from Tsepz_GP will disable cell data but you can still call/text. Other then Airplane Mode I don't know of a native way to disable call/text - there might be an app that does.

Upvote 0
So in other words you want to turn off internet data connection?

You should be able to turn it off, go into Settings -Mobile Networks -there should be an option to turn off Mobile Data.

Hey Tsepz_GP

Not exactly... to turn off DATA I can play with the "Use Packet Data" option.

I just want to be able to use my apps without using the "phone" capabilities... no calls/ no texts.

A bit like turning the iPhone into an Ipod Touch...

Ox

Upvote 0
It depends on the phone, some will let you turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on in Airplane Mode.

Following the post from Tsepz_GP will disable cell data but you can still call/text. Other then Airplane Mode I don't know of a native way to disable call/text - there might be an app that does.

Damn...

Ok I guess I could still live dealing with that AIRPLANE option, but still a bit frustrating...

Thanks anyways

Ox

Upvote 0
Take sim card out :thumbup:

Seemed like the obvious solution to me - so much so I assumed the OP had already ruled out that option before posting.

Removing the SIM would still leave the cellular radio turned on even though it is unusable for normal purposes. Perhaps the OP wants to disable radio completely for whatever reason without losing wi-fi and BT, in which case removing the SIM won't help.

Upvote 0
Seemed like the obvious solution to me - so much so I assumed the OP had already ruled out that option before posting.

Removing the SIM would still leave the cellular radio turned on even though it is unusable for normal purposes. Perhaps the OP wants to disable radio completely for whatever reason without losing wi-fi and BT, in which case removing the SIM won't help.

Exactly! There are plenty of reasons why one would like to use a smartphone without being connected... But that doesn't mean I am never using it as a phone. Having to remove and put back the SIM in not an option for me :D

Ox

Upvote 0

I'm sure just about all phones should allow you turn WiFi on when it's in flight mode. After all that's something you might want to do if there's WiFi on a flight. Not sure about Bluetooth though, are you allowed to use Bluetooth devices during a flight? My phone, I can turn on Bluetooth while in flight mode.

Upvote 0
After some research I may have found a solution for you, but it doesn't work on all phones.

1. Bring up your dialer.
2. Two possibilities to dial, try the second if the first doesn't work:
*#*#4636#*#*
##4636##
3. Tap Phone Information.
4. Scroll to the bottom and tap Turn Off Radio

If step two doesn't work these two older apps bring up the menu and should work with Android 2.3:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kei5rio.secretcode
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mangelow.network

I did this on an older phone and it turned off calls/data, and WiFi/Bluetooth could be turned on. It also thought it was in Airplane Mode, but the airplane icon didn't appear in the status bar.

Or if you just don't want people calling you, apps like this one are able to block all calls and texts.

Upvote 0

True. Emergency calls can still be made.
PS, have you noticed 911 works in the UK? (@americans, 999 is our equivalent).
Just shows how Americanised our youngers have got eh :thumbup:

Upvote 0
After some research I may have found a solution for you, but it doesn't work on all phones.

1. Bring up your dialer.
2. Two possibilities to dial, try the second if the first doesn't work:
*#*#4636#*#*
##4636##
3. Tap Phone Information.
4. Scroll to the bottom and tap Turn Off Radio

If step two doesn't work these two older apps bring up the menu and should work with Android 2.3:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kei5rio.secretcode
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mangelow.network

I did this on an older phone and it turned off calls/data, and WiFi/Bluetooth could be turned on. It also thought it was in Airplane Mode, but the airplane icon didn't appear in the status bar.

Or if you just don't want people calling you, apps like this one are able to block all calls and texts.

Hey Kate

.... How wonderful... How Marvelous...
You made my day!!!

I've tried all your suggestions.

It worked with the *#*#4636#*#* code in the dialer.
All fine with 4636 and Network Apps.

And Calls Blacklist - Call Blocker app can always come handy... and seems quite efficient.

Problem solved
Thank you very much!!!

I still cannot believe that there is no native solution for that....
I guess not everyone use their smartphone the way I use it :D:D:D
What a world :D

Thanks again!
Ox

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
True. Emergency calls can still be made.
PS, have you noticed 911 works in the UK? (@americans, 999 is our equivalent).
Just shows how Americanised our youngers have got eh :thumbup:

No I hadn't noticed, although I did know that 112 works having accidentally dialling it in my pocket back in the days phones had real dial pads. It makes a lot of sense though, you don't want anything in the way of an emergency call no matter which number a visitor may instinctively use.

I wonder if 999 works instead of 911 on a mobile in the US?

Upvote 0
When I had a phone with real keys it was easy to check since the only numbers it would allow me to enter with the keyboard locked were 999 or 112 (and probably 911 too), but of course it didn't actually make the call unless the green "phone" button was pressed.

I only discovered this after getting a call back after my phone had dialled - and called - 112 from random keypresses in my pocket. The operator was understanding, they apparently got many, many such calls for the same reason but had to check in case any "silent" calls were actually real emergencies.

It's different now with a smartphone, you have to unlock to bring up the dialler so it can't really happen by accident.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones