Using a US Sim to Access Market Questions?

Last Updated:

1. antikryst

antikryst Active Member This Topic's Starter

i have a samsung galaxy spica (1.5 by default) which i flashed to 2.1 (but i dont wanna root). i am also in the philippines so i dont have access to paid apps... just have a few questions.

1. can i borrow a US sim card so i can get access to paid apps via wifi? can someone confirm this? i also have a google checkout account tied with the account i use on my android.

2. what if i change phones? (getting a nexus one soon) how will the apps i bought transfer over? ive read that bought apps are tied to the gmail account you use... but what if im back with no US sim card with no access to paid apps on a new phone?

3. can i get an AT&T sim from amazon? (they have it for $10) anyone try this yet for use in a different country just to get paid apps access?

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Most US carriers do not use SIM cards. A much easier way would be to root your phone and use 'Market Enabler' to fake a carrier.

3. antikryst

i NO NOT want to root. i know that most US carriers do not use sim cards but AT&T does.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

...and T-Mobile as well.

5. antikryst

anyone?

6. antikryst

ok... so i have found available sims for t-mobile and at&t USA. $10 bucks a pop unactivated.

if i have these activated by a friend who is in the US... then have it sent to me abroad... would this work?

not really sure if these US sims could get signal and roam while in a different country...

... does the marketplace just check the origin of the sim or would it need to get a valid GSM signal?

7. rgduarte

rgduarte New Member

I can confirm that using a foreign SIM can give you access to paid apps in the android market. I've used a Vodafone prepaid SIM purchased in Spain to do this. You don't even need any load on the SIM - just connect via wifi. I purchased some apps using Google checkout.
    I'm in Philippines as well.

8. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

You are going to have to make sure they will not charge airtime or roaming fees. Not entirely show how it works but some do (US telcos will nickel dime and f you any way they possibly can).

9. HustlinDaily

My bad, I think airtime is only charged if you get on data or calls.

10. HustlinDaily

So basically you would get the cheapest prepaid plan from AT&T and TMo which would allow international roaming?

11. HustlinDaily

Oh nevermind, prepaid plans do not work outside of the US/Mexico (couple of other countries for TMo).

12. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Off topic but nextel uses SIM cards as well =P