• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Using AccountManager for 3rd party OAuth2 authorization

pgrisson

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
I am working on an app that will need to get authorization via OAuth2 from a 3rd party web service (3rd party meaning it's not Google and I don't own it).

The "Authenticating to OAuth2 Services" article on android.com seems to suggest that I should be using AccountManager for this purpose.

After giving this some thought, I have some doubts about the benefit of doing this, or even if it's appropriate for me to do this. If I wanted to use a Google account, or some other account that was already installed into AccountManager by some other app, then obviously it would be a good idea to get the credentials from AccountManager. But since I am going to use an account that is most likely not in AccountManager, I would have to do all the work to get it installed.

Does AccountManager provide any support in actually handling OAuth2 requests? If it doesn't, then what do I gain by using it?

And since I don't own the web service associated with this account type, is it even appropriate for me to be installing such accounts into AccountManager?

Thank you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones