Using adb from fastbootSupport

Last Updated:

1. mikeb81

mikeb81 Member This Topic's Starter

Android Version: 2.1 (Doughnut?)
    Network: T-Mobile
    Issue:

I'm having a little trouble connecting to my phone using adb when it is booted into fastboot (from an XP machine). Basically my phone has stopped booting correctly (it just loops infinitely between the HTC and TMobile splash screens), and I'd like to use adb to have a look around and see if I can fix the problem. If possible I'd like to avoid a factory reset.

At first when I plugged my phone into the pc via usb it popped up a 'Found New Hardware' saying it had discovered an 'Android 1.0 device', and asked me for drivers. The drivers I got from HTC Synch weren't recognised, and after a little playing around I realised the USB Bus ID listed for a HTC Desire phone in the .inf file for the drivers did not match the actual ID for my phone reported by windows. After I fixed that the drivers installed correctly and the 'Found New Hardware' box stopped popping up when I plugged my phone in.

Unfortunately adb still didn't detect my phone, and neither did HTC synch. Also, when I tried to access the SD card on the from from the generic Mass Storage device added into explorer it popped up an 'insert disk' box and wouldn't let me access it.

Has anyone else had this problem, or have any suggestions on how to fix it? Should I be able to connect to the phone using adb when it is in fastboot? I've seen several examples on the net where people claimed to have done it so I'm assuming you should be able to.

Very last resort before I give up and factory reset the phone.

If anyone's interested I posted earlier describing the infinite-loop problem here: http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/187583-no-space-left-device.html

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

So far as I can tell, fastboot is only used for flashing images to the phone, not navigating directories. If you can get Recovery to boot, you can adb from there.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes you need to get into recovery to run adb shell.

4. mikeb81

mikeb81 Member This Topic's Starter

Unfortunately that didn't work either, very frustrating.