using an external hard drive with the note 10.1Tips

1. Adam Steele

Adam Steele New Member

I've just gotten rid of my iPad and bought the note 10.1 So i could play from an external device, iv bought the usb adaptor and can read from small usb pen drives but not from any of my 500gb-1tb hard drives. HELP!! Is it a power issue? And if so would a dock help?

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

First off welcome to the forums!

It could be a driver issue, i know some of the External hard drives come with drivers and sometimes won't work without it...Have you tested it on anything besides thumb drives?
  3. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Here's the most common issues regarding external drives:

1. external HDD will need an external power source to allow the Note 10.1 to work with it. The Note 10.1 doesn't have enough juice on its own to power and use it.
    2. HDD file system is not recognized (stock ROM will only read FAT32 or exFAT; no NTFS unless rooted)
    Adam Steele likes this.
  4. akram141

akram141 New Member

Is it available the usb adaptor in the market ??
  5. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

The USB OTG adapter is available. I got the official Samsung USB connection kit that includes the USB OTG adapter and SD card reader:
    [​IMG]
    junkyard likes this.
  6. Adam Steele

Adam Steele New Member

Thanks for the advice guys
    I have tried a couple of 32gb memory sticks which are fine. I have purchased a portable power pack so I'm fully powered. I have formatted the hard drive to FAT32 format which it still won't recognise!
    What options do I have left? I don't really want to root if I can avoid it as I'm still relatively inexperienced and would worry about security issues but I'm fast running out of options!!
    Thanks so much for your advice