using APP killer but they dont stay DEAD!Support

Last Updated:

1. dcrowex

dcrowex New Member This Topic's Starter

Loving my Droid X and I am using the ADvanced APP Killer but why dont they stay dead? I can kill the APPS and recheck in two minutes and they are all active again. I can see apps like weather , Facebook, mail, text, etc but apps that arent used keep popping up like voice mail, skype, music, etc - I dont even have music on my phone. I know the battery issue is a huge complaint and I can see why. As much as I am loving the phone, the apps are draining things and if they wont stay killed, what good is an APP killer? thanks, deb

Advertisement
  2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

I've seen in the ATK comments, that not killing after 2.2 update is known problem (maybe ATK failure, but most probably the problem is on Android system side). Try the Froyo version (there's separate Froyo version in Market).
    Or maybe disable ATK and check the battery usage for a few days. I think killing these apps in 2.2 drains the battery more than if you leave them running in background. Taskmanager was useful in older versions, but 2.2 and JIT don't need it and it just causes problems (restarting the apks and draining the battery faster).

3. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

I believe that's right -- when you run a Task Killer, the Task Killer itself is draining the battery simply by running all the time. Task Killers are really unneeded for Android. Android will set aside those apps in memory that "appear" to be running, but they aren't using any resources. Then it will clean them up as it needs more memory to run additional apps. So by running a Task Killer, you are, in effect, using up more resources and draining the battery faster. Whether it's enough to tell the difference is another question. There could be other issues such as display brightness, how long you have the display on over time, etc...

4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Dump the task killer. You simply don't need it. Battery life depends much more on things like WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS being on when not needed and screen brightness/timeout. Android is constructed in such a way that even when apps are loaded they aren't necessarily using CPU/battery power. Apps that poll for information on a frequent basis (a weather widget, for example, an email app checking for mail etc.) will of course use power at those times, but otherwise they just sit there dormant, as it were. The apps you see as "open" aren't using nearly as much battery power as you might think.

Here's a thread you might do well to spend some time reading:

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/161686-should-you-use-task-killer.html

Be sure to click the link in the first post.