• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Using BakedSnack 1.7 lost 5 point multitouch

So i tried netarchy 4.1.9 again and seems to enable 5 points again. Although I had to install 4.1.8 first. Otherwise I get constant reboot even after wiping cache and dalvik. Played some games and seems to be on par with baked kernel. So im just gonna keep it this way till baked kernel is updated.

Upvote 0
there's so much code sharing between the various kernels (that's a good thing) that I wouldn't ever expect a huge difference in quality between any of them. That said, because they are all in active development, it's definitely possible that a bug introduced in the latest kernel could cause that kernel to fall back temporarily. In the long run, they are all good alternatives to me.

Upvote 0
my netarchy 4.1.9 for fresh doesnt have 5 point either. just 3.

This is due to the hardware of your screen. Not all Evos come with the same hardware. Some screens only support a max of 3. Others 5. You happen to have an Evo that only supports 3. No ROM/kernel will ever change that. Sorry..

-edit-
this is taken directly from Netarchy's kernel OP over at xda:

A note on multitouch:
Some of you may have used my 5point multitouch test builds with success, others with failure. Research has shown that the Evo's contain at least 2 different versions of the touch sensor, one of which does not support 5point multitouch (but it DOES support 3point). You can check which sensor you have using adb by issuing the following command: "adb shell cat /sys/android_touch/vendor" and examining the result. If your result is ATMEL_x0080_x0016, your phone can support 5point. If your result is ATMEL_x004F_x0016, your phone will only support up to 3point.

Upvote 0
Is that what it is? I thought it was the kernel that allows 5 point. I will try that thank you.

Edit: That's not it. Just tried it.

Does the DX keyboard even support more than 2-pt multitouch? If so, what's the use case for it? I can only think of holding shift and touching a letter. That's 2-pt. When do i need to hold down more than 2 buttons at once?

And yes, the kernel is what activates 3 or 5 pt touch. stock kernel supports 2.

Upvote 0
Does the DX keyboard even support more than 2-pt multitouch? If so, what's the use case for it? I can only think of holding shift and touching a letter. That's 2-pt. When do i need to hold down more than 2 buttons at once?

And yes, the kernel is what activates 3 or 5 pt touch. stock kernel supports 2.

Good point. However I do notice that there is some lag when typing on DX kb with only 2 points.

Upvote 0
Help me understand how you can touch five different keys at once? Better yet, explain why this is so important to you.

I notice the lag in the DX keyboard when typing too fast. I also notice it in games when I'm playing game emulators where I have to press buttons at a faster rate. It may not be important to some or most but it bothers me. So I post here to see if anyone can help. And I appreciate all the feed back from everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones