Using BakedSnack 1.7 lost 5 point multitouch

Last Updated:

1. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Using stock 1.7 and it disabled my 5 point multitouch. I only have 2 now and it slows down my typing a lot. Anyway to get it back to 5 point?

Advertisement
  2. aznmode

Turns out it's the built in kernel doing this. Tried king kernel and got my 5 points back. But my phone didnt run as smooth so I re-did Baked 1.7 rom to get the kernel back. I can't find the kernel by itself.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

curious if netarchy 4.1.8 kernel would work better. worth a shot?

4. aznmode

I've tried 4.1.8 and 4.1.9 but Baked kernel 6 is better. Also it seems that recording videos in 720p isn't as choppy.

5. PSULightingGuy

PSULightingGuy Active Member

I also lost it... Haven't been caring, but installed a Multitouch viewer out of curiosity. The ROM say's it's using the Baked Kernel 6 which lists 5 point, but there's no download link for #6 and I haven't bothered trying to install a different one.

6. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

what is this 5 point multitouch? i'm going to guess that it registers 5 simultaneous touches at the same time?

7. aznmode

That would be it. You can download multitouch vis test from the market to test your screen.

8. aznmode

So i tried netarchy 4.1.9 again and seems to enable 5 points again. Although I had to install 4.1.8 first. Otherwise I get constant reboot even after wiping cache and dalvik. Played some games and seems to be on par with baked kernel. So im just gonna keep it this way till baked kernel is updated.

9. novox77

there's so much code sharing between the various kernels (that's a good thing) that I wouldn't ever expect a huge difference in quality between any of them. That said, because they are all in active development, it's definitely possible that a bug introduced in the latest kernel could cause that kernel to fall back temporarily. In the long run, they are all good alternatives to me.

10. Mr. Monkey

Mr. Monkey Well-Known Member

my netarchy 4.1.9 for fresh doesnt have 5 point either. just 3.

11. aznmode

Really? That is odd. What rom are you using? I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I installed 4.1.8 first then 4.1.9 since 4.1.9 would cause the phone to not boot up all the way if I go straight to that kernel.

12. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

Why not put the DX keyboard back on it?

13. novox77

This is due to the hardware of your screen. Not all Evos come with the same hardware. Some screens only support a max of 3. Others 5. You happen to have an Evo that only supports 3. No ROM/kernel will ever change that. Sorry..

-edit-
    this is taken directly from Netarchy's kernel OP over at xda:

A note on multitouch:
    Some of you may have used my 5point multitouch test builds with success, others with failure. Research has shown that the Evo's contain at least 2 different versions of the touch sensor, one of which does not support 5point multitouch (but it DOES support 3point). You can check which sensor you have using adb by issuing the following command: "adb shell cat /sys/android_touch/vendor" and examining the result. If your result is ATMEL_x0080_x0016, your phone can support 5point. If your result is ATMEL_x004F_x0016, your phone will only support up to 3point.

14. aznmode

Is that what it is? I thought it was the kernel that allows 5 point. I will try that thank you.

Edit: That's not it. Just tried it.

15. novox77

Does the DX keyboard even support more than 2-pt multitouch? If so, what's the use case for it? I can only think of holding shift and touching a letter. That's 2-pt. When do i need to hold down more than 2 buttons at once?

And yes, the kernel is what activates 3 or 5 pt touch. stock kernel supports 2.

16. aznmode

Good point. However I do notice that there is some lag when typing on DX kb with only 2 points.

17. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

Help me understand how you can touch five different keys at once? Better yet, explain why this is so important to you.

18. aznmode

I notice the lag in the DX keyboard when typing too fast. I also notice it in games when I'm playing game emulators where I have to press buttons at a faster rate. It may not be important to some or most but it bothers me. So I post here to see if anyone can help. And I appreciate all the feed back from everyone.

19. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

Ahhh, you must type fast.

20. aznmode

LOL to be honest I think I type faster now on DX kb than I do when I had the TP2 using the hardware kb. IMO anyway :)

21. lite blue

lite blue Well-Known Member

just installed bake snack 1.7. my 5 point multi-touch is definitely gone, and it is not the device because i had five point with rooted stock 2.2. the frames per sec at 54. that being said not sure that the multi-touch is a big deal for me and swype keyboard.

22. PSULightingGuy

PSULightingGuy Active Member

After my last post, I went back and installed Baked Kernel #5 and things are back to the way they were, I've got 5-point back.

On a different note, my phone has been weird, no matter what ROM, it registers 5 points, but the visualizer I use only displays 4. The 4th pops up when I put down a 5th finger... Strange, but not really a problem...

23. Lyvewire

Lyvewire Well-Known Member

how can you tell how many points your be allowed to make?

24. aznmode

You can download multitouch vis test from the market.

Lyvewire likes this.
  25. Lyvewire

Lyvewire Well-Known Member

Thanks. I Just came off Cyanogen and waiting for Baked 1.7 to download from Rom Manager now. I never noticed the difference when I had it before but after seeing the video posted in the Best Rom tread I'm heading back to see if its really smooother then Cyanogen.