Using battery in standby

Last Updated:

1. HellsBells

HellsBells Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone tell me when my phone goes into standby (is that the same as sleep mode, BTW?) is it still connected tothe internet ? If not is there a setting that will automatically disable it (I don't mind manually re-connecting it again)?

I don't have anything auto-synching, so I don't need to be connected while I'm not actually using it. (Just thinking of ways of saving valuable juice :))

Advertisement
  2. HellsBells

(I've obviously asked a really dumb question here :eek:)

3. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

nah, this forum is so busy that it probably just slipped of the front page too quickly.

anyway, I'm going to be lazy & just quote another of my posts with battery saving tips (the part that answers your question about a fix is highlighted blue, but it should all be useful):

I guess I should have mentioned things you can do to extend the battery life in my original post, but it pretty much comes down to turning things off that you're not using. For example, turn off the GPS if your not using it.

There are some included widgets that make it easy to do, and I downloaded one widget because it had better functionality.

included widgets that should be added to your desktop:
    power control-does blutooth, wifi, GPS, auto-sync enable/disable of things like email, and brightness
    Mobile data-turns mobile data (3g) on & off. found by selecting "settings>mobile network" in the add widget menu. The phone can still do calls & texts with this off.

Extra app downloaded:
    Brightness-downloaded from the market, called Brightness Level made by Curvefish. To make this work you must disable auto adjustment in the phone's settings. I found auto adjustment did not work very well. Found in "Settings>sound & display>brightness>automatic brightness" to toggle on/off.

Turn the brightness down to as dim as you can put up with. The screen will be harder to see in different lighting conditions, like sunlight, so the widget makes it easy to quickly adjust it.

Other things that help are to set the auto update for things like email & facebook to less frequently, or even manually. Active desktop backgrounds also have a small affect, so use a picture instead, but personally, I like the active desktops, so I've left mine on.

Finally, the phone charges faster with the AC adaptor than it does on a computer's USB port.

HellsBells likes this.
  4. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

I do think it is connected to the Internet - at least if you have apps that require syncing or some kind of continual data. Checking my data plan, I see that mine runs for a few KBs at regular intervals every hour. Of course, I have it set up to sync because I have a relatively large data plan.

If you want to shut off your mobile networks, press and hold the power button. A menu should pop up that will allow you to, among other things like silence and airplane mode, turn off the mobile network.

Tim

HellsBells likes this.
  5. HellsBells

Thanks for the replies.
    I have put those widgets on my home screen (and I read your recommendationfor the Brightness one before and find it VERY useful for quick adjustments). I do try and keep internet switched off unless needed, but I often go into standby without remembering to disconnect. It's just a habit I'm going to have to get into.

6. Johnboy501

Johnboy501 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the "mobile networks" one but its still poor that such a great phone cant utilise all its functions properly without lasting a full day!!!

7. JayCee

JayCee Well-Known Member

Blame HTC and the fashion for "Thin is great"
    They should have made the phone thicker and fitted a beefier battery IMHO.

8. jauhari

jauhari Well-Known Member

Try to Install Juice Devender App