• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Using BB v 0.4 but still getting OTA Froyo???

I'm hesitant to use that mainly because of the problems associated with it. People have lost root after installing that patch. I've heard that Clockwork blocks the install but I'd rather not find out on my own.

It seemed like Pete modified the original OTA blocker. I'm running BB .4 but got the OTA notification this morning. I installed it through Clockwork, rebooted, and it's fine. CPU went from 500 mhz back to 800 mhz (I'm using his stock kernel) and the update icon showed up after rebooting but then went away on it's own. I'd say his patch fixed it and didn't break anything on mine, just make sure you use the most current file linked on his site which is stopota1.zip.

Upvote 0
Went for it and hit accept. Nothing happened, notification is gone. Thank you.
According to other similar posts, you will likely get the update again in a few days and have to repeat the process again and again, until you either a) flash a custom ROM from a newer build, or b) install the patch that Pete offers.

For the record, I installed the patch yesterday after receiving the OTA, flashed the patch and then accepted the update. I had to re-install Swype, but other than that I still have root and I'm still overclocked at 1.1 GHz on a very nice, themed Bugless Evolution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones