Using Captivate without sim card or any plan whatsoever.Support

Last Updated: 2012-04-07 10:15:53
  1. twotone8

twotone8 Member

I've been wanting an android Personal mp3 media player for quite some time. Ended up purchasing a used Captivate online for a great price, and it should arrive sometime next week. Do you guys anticipate me having any problems getting this device to work as a wi-fi only media device without any sort of sim card or 3g connection? I was originally holding out for the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi mp3 players to come out, but this seems to have the same internals for over $100 cheaper.

Advertisement
  2. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

It will work just fine. :)
  3. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

I have an old Captivate from when I upgraded to my SGSII. We use it as a wifi-only (no SIM) device with nothing but kids games on it for our kids. Works great.
  4. Chaco

Chaco Well-Known Member

i just did this
    my buddy got the new Samsung Galaxy S II and sold me the captivate for cheap

so i factory reset, rooted it, nandroid it, unlocked it, removed and added some stuff, and gave it to my kid as a Media Player for his birthday today... why buy the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 or 5, when i did it with an old phone that works great...

i plan on doing the same with my HTC EVO 4G when i upgrade on the next few months.

actually, long time ago i found a sim card on the street... i inserted it expecting it not to work... and the reason im keeping that sucker in, its because the "EMERGENCY CALL" button on the lock screen is no longer there, as i dont want my son to call 911 by mistake.... as far as the phone aspect, i put an app launcher lock on it and im set :)
  5. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

Just a fair warning..... your phone is still a phone even without a sim card :p. Like all phone they still can call 911 so if your kids are under age and play with the dialer they could accidently call 911 and you could see the police knock on your door.

You should delete all the package related to media (dialer,phone,mms,etc) to turn it into a wifi mp3 player.
  6. Chaco

Chaco Well-Known Member

exactly... thats why i password protected the phone, dialer, etc from the phone in order to prevent this. i could have also frozen it with titanium backup... but that wasnt necesary... the emergency call is not available as long as the screen doesnt have a password pattern, a code, or an old sim card installed
  7. Jeffboy

Jeffboy New Member

Do you keep it always ON (stand-by/sleep mode) , or just open it up when you needed it??

Do you keep it ON , or just open it up when you needed it??

cause im planning to shut it down and just open it up when i needed it

answer pls thanks
  8. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member

best option for using a captivate as a glorified mp3 player is to activate airplane mode and turn wifi on/off when needed