Using Computers Internet

Last Updated:

1. imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know that with my windows mobile phone, I was able to plug my phone into the computer, and it would use my internet instead of sprints. My phone got shut off for a couple weeks and i missed the ability to do this. is there a way to make this work with android? I would really appreciate it if someone could hook me up :p.

Advertisement
  2. imneveral0ne

so this isnt possible? or noone knows?

3. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking about a reverse tether. A simple and more functional solution would be to get a wireless router for your home or office. Then you would not have to be tied to your PC to get Internet access on your Hero. The wireless functions on the hero are automatic and easy to setup a connection. I have not heard about a reverse tether working on the Hero.

Jack

4. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

Yeah, a WIFI network is the way to go. I already had one set up for my netbook so it was a simple matter to add the MAC address for my Hero and connect. I have OK 3G coverage here at home but the WIFI is still a lot faster.

Pete

5. imneveral0ne

thank you for your answer

6. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

Just remember that a wireless router can pose a HUGE threat to your system security, but it doesn't have to. Please take the necessary time to understand the possible consequences of an insecure WIFI network and understand what steps you can take to prevent that. Modern WIFI hardware is generally plug-&-play but it's typically NOT pre-configured with the most secure settings and they use default passwords which every cyber-crook knows by heart.

There is loads of information available online about this and the documentation which is supplied with most WIFI routers typically covers it pretty well too, so this is definitely a case where reading the instructions carefully before you even power up the equipment is a real good idea.

Pete

7. xtr3mx7

xtr3mx7 New Member

Wrong place.. sorry

8. espresso

espresso Member

People

so is it possible or not to connect to the Internet via USB? In my case the ' invest in a wireless router' reply doesn't apply for me.

I have that at home ok, but in the office I can't connect to the internet because we access the internet via proxy servers. And from what I've found so far you can't apply proxy settings on android phone. Apparently there are some apps that might do that. If that holds true, I'd appreciate you recommendations.

9. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member

Your can try setting up your computer for an Ad-Hoc wireless connection. This will create a peer-to-peer type connection and should share the PC side wired connection. Your Pc needs to have a wireless card or USB key however. You could also try what's called a "Software Access Point." This is a piece of software that essentially does the same thing for you.

This looks like the best solution for you...

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/synet-windy31-usb-wireless/4505-3319_7-32909973.html