• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help using eeepad tr prime plugged to power?

madixxx

Feb 16, 2012
France
hi all,

i posted a similar q as answer to charging the transformer prime but i got no reply so here comes again:

could someone be kind and help me with some info.

should i after charging (charged both keyboard n pad for the first time TOGETHER not separately)-
always use the pad without keeping it plugged?
i am so use to plugging my laptop ( ibm) when i work on it as its in its dock which is always connected to power.
i understand that is not a good idea with the pad???

grateful for a reply!

m

Moved to the Prime forum.

It's not good for a LiIon battery to be drained completely, it's better for them to be charged before that happens. Personally, I charge mine (the original TF, not the Prime) overnight any time the charge drops to about 50% or below. Sometimes that means I'm charging it daily, sometimes it's a couple of days between charges.

Upvote 0
I charge mine pretty much every night. It doesn't hurt it, and as posted above, LiIon batteries don't like to be drained completely. The circuitry should shut down the device before the battery is completely drained, though. In the long run, the battery will degrade no matter what you do, it's just a matter of the laws of physics. I sometimes use it while plugged in, but not as often as with my laptop, because the laptop battery dies after an hour or so, while I can go 12 hours of use, with the occasional break, on the docked Prime, and while the keyboard battery will be nearly dead, the tablet battery will be near or above 90%. I don't lie awake at night worrying about the battery.

Upvote 0
thank you,let me just make sure i got it
when you say topped up u mean that its good to keep loading it and never let it completely empty?

thats what i did with my think pad and the batt died after 2years (that lpt cost 4 times my transformer p) :( just dont want to kill the batt again!

Just to make you feel better...or not. It is normal for your laptop battery to begin losing charge after 2 years. It sucks and is less than ideal, but I have never owned a laptop that held the same charge as the day I got it after 2 years. I have a 2 year old netbook that has begun to degrade, but still gets a pretty decent life. When I first bought it, I could get up to 9 hours of life. Now it's about half that.

Upvote 0
Just to make you feel better...or not. It is normal for your laptop battery to begin losing charge after 2 years. It sucks and is less than ideal, but I have never owned a laptop that held the same charge as the day I got it after 2 years. I have a 2 year old netbook that has begun to degrade, but still gets a pretty decent life. When I first bought it, I could get up to 9 hours of life. Now it's about half that.

Yup. Repeated charge/discharge cycles are what kill batteries. It's an unfortunate characteristic of chemical batteries. Batteries are a lot better but still have a long way to go. Until someone invents a mini nuclear reactor we'll just have to live with this fact.

Upvote 0
Just to make you feel better...or not. It is normal for your laptop battery to begin losing charge after 2 years. It sucks and is less than ideal, but I have never owned a laptop that held the same charge as the day I got it after 2 years. I have a 2 year old notebook that has begun to degrade, but still gets a pretty decent life. When I first bought it, I could get up to 9 hours of life. Now it's about half that.

I hear you! the think pad was to last 12 hours or so it was the s of the s and now it dies after 2! but hey i can live with this s i now have my new transformer hehe! just wanted to make sure i didnt mess up the battery myself.
cheers all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones