• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Eris after hard reset as a wifi device only

WSteve

Lurker
Oct 15, 2011
Hi, I have a HTC Eris. the phone no longer has cell service but my son uses it with wifi for youtube and other apps he likes. i thought I could help the phone perform better if i did a hard reset but now after doing the hard reset and trying to power it back up it wants to activate the cell service. I can't seem to get around this step.

is there a way i can bypass the cell service activation step and use it again as just a wifi device?

thanks for the help,
steve

STEP 1) press EMERGENCY CALL
STEP 2) DIAL ##778 (CALL)
STEP 3) PRESS EDIT MODE
STEP 4) ENTER PASSWORD WHICH IS: 000000
STEP 5) TAP NAM Settings
STEP 6) Enter Your 10 digit phone number press OK
STEP 7) TAP NAM 1 and enter you 7 digid cel phone number without area code
STEP 8) TAP NAM 2 enter your 3 digit area code
STEP 9) TAP back
STEP 10) TAP SID/NID settings and change the left box to: 40 leave the right box as it is(then tap ok)
STEP 11) TAP MENU
STEP 12) TAP COMMIT MOD.

Upvote 0
I also have an old Eris and it had come down to the issues that i had not clear the data on it and i hand it down to my dad since he does work any more he spends the day at home relaxing and he found this great app for a radio station so he wanted me to fix it so i did a hard reset.

i came down to i had to reactivate the phone and since i didnt want to do that because i have mine already activated i was lost for words and would tell my dad he had lost his wifi phone. :( :( .

So here i am looking for answers. well i did something by mistake and i thought it was be a nice thing to share this with people like me trying to find answers.

So i was stuck on the activation screen thinking i have to call it or something. what i did was the following:

1. Turn off the phone.
2. Did the same steps to do a hard reset sequence.
3. At the hard reset screen i clicked on Recovery option.

i did that and it re-voted the phone and i was back in the system and it gave me option to active that phone as a wifi device. i inserted the wifi password,
input the information for my account (gmail) and i was back in the system and now use it as a clean wifi device.

hopefully that will help anyone looking for an answer.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I also have an old Eris and it had come down to the issues that i had not clear the data on it and i hand it down to my dad since he does work any more he spends the day at home relaxing and he found this great app for a radio station so he wanted me to fix it so i did a hard reset.

i came down to i had to reactivate the phone and since i didnt want to do that because i have mine already activated i was lost for words and would tell my dad he had lost his wifi phone. :( :( .

So here i am looking for answers. well i did something by mistake and i thought it was be a nice thing to share this with people like me trying to find answers.

So i was stuck on the activation screen thinking i have to call it or something. what i did was the following:

1. Turn off the phone.
2. Did the same steps to do a hard reset sequence.
3. At the hard reset screen i clicked on Recovery option.

i did that and it re-voted the phone and i was back in the system and it gave me option to active that phone as a wifi device. i inserted the wifi password,
input the information for my account (gmail) and i was back in the system and now use it as a clean wifi device.

hopefully that will help anyone looking for an answer.

Wow, old thread. Thanks for the reply.

I know from experience that (on the Eris) if you choose Activate, then use the disconnect button as soon as you hear the phone ring, it will redial and retry the activation two more times. After the third try, it will give up and allow you to continue to set up the phone via WiFi. Thanks for confirming another method.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones