Using EVO as a RouterSupport

Last Updated:

1. etprimus

etprimus New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking at purchasing one of these phone, but one of the main reasons would be to use it at home as a replacement to my Linksys router. As a hotspot can the EVO also work as a router allowing one machine to access another machine's folders on the EVO network, or does the hotspot only allow the devices to get onto the internet?

Advertisement
  2. etprimus

I'm looking at purchasing one of these phone, but one of the main reasons would be to use it at home as a replacement to my Linksys router. As a hotspot can the EVO also work as a router allowing one machine to access another machine's folders on the EVO network, or does the hotspot only allow the devices to get onto the internet?

3. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

You can only access the internet using the EVO as a hotspot.

4. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

You mean network sharing?

I'm sure you'll be able to.

My other computer is in pieces but I can probably test later if you'd like.

5. etprimus

Yes, network sharing. Right now I use a Linksys router to allow all of my machines to talk to each other. I use it more to keep all of my music on an external drive connected to one computer and use the router to access the music on other machines. There is a piece of software that controls all of that through the router. Is there an app that will allow this or just being a hotspot allows all of the other machines to talk to each other.

Thanks again for your help.

6. exclamation_mark

exclamation_mark Well-Known Member

It's an interesting idea, though i would think it would be less reliable than using your router. I mean, if your phone is dead for any reason so is your network... I have a wireless setup in my home now and my EVO connects to it automatically when i get home, It would be neat to be able to transfer files to and from the EVO and my network so i could see that as a benefit, but i don't know that i would replace a device designed to network for a device designed to be a phone.

This sounds interesting though so I'm gonna subscribe.

7. sitlet

sitlet Banned

one thread is enough.