• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Evo in Tokyo...pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjjr2531

Android Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2009
dallas,tx
Hello... I'm leaving for Tokyo tomorrow and ill be there for 2 weeks. My question is, how can I use my wifi, internet, camera etc... without using my phone signal? Basically I don't want to accidentally make or recieve a call or text, BUT be able to use everything else... I wonder if fring will work... THANKS!

no, airplane mode turns off all radios, including wifi.

turn off the phones voice radio. if you want to be overly sure then take the phone off your account until you return.

Airplane mode does turn off all radios, but with the EVO, you can just turn WiFi back on and it will work while the rest of the phone remains in "Airplane mode."

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I went to japan in june with my evo for business trip. I tried to use the cell service there but some error messages keep popping up preventing the connection. I ended up buying a phone card to make calls. Also only very few places have wifi service, not even major hotel in Tokyo, there is always a lan cable in the room. I basically used my feature packed evo as a mp3 player. I suspect the Evo is not compatible for international roaming yet cause i used my palm with no problem about 6 months ago.
So most likely you don't have to worry about the super expensive roaming fees.

Upvote 0
Evo is not a world phone and has no GSM chip, so your international roaming is very limited to begin with.

And what svtisland said confirms that you can't use the Evo in Japan anyway, so don't worry about the roaming charges.

To set the record straight, Korea and Japan has CDMA carriers and i think CDMA is more dominant inthose two countries. Also as i said Palm Pre worked fine in Japan. Check sprint web site they have all devices and countries that can do international roaming but Evo is not listed as a international roaming phone yet.

Upvote 0
thanks guys...looks like i will have an over powered mp3 player...how the heck can japan not have more wifi??!! sucks...i wonder if the starbucks' there have free wifi now like in the states??? they a=started this july 1 just fyi

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE
SAYANORA! (damn i messed that up!)

Get WarDrive to help you find all the open wifi hot spots. Be sure to upload your map so it's available for my trip in 3 weeks :D

Upvote 0
To set the record straight, Korea and Japan has CDMA carriers and i think CDMA is more dominant inthose two countries. Also as i said Palm Pre worked fine in Japan. Check sprint web site they have all devices and countries that can do international roaming but Evo is not listed as a international roaming phone yet.

Last time I was in Korea, I don't recall my phone working there at all.

First thing I do whenever I hit Japan is to rent a cellphone in the airport - then you know you'll be OK - and at least save a bit.

As I recall, my Sprint CMDA phone worked in some places there, not others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones