Using EVO outside the USA

Last Updated:

1. deceptibum

deceptibum Member This Topic's Starter

Question for anyone....Has anyone been out of the country with this phone yet. I am flying to Brazil tomorrow and was hoping to use the video chat with Fring or Qik to show some live videos back home in TX. I was curious what kind of settings would have to be changed to make this work. I know there is no Sprint network down there, nor any 3G or 4G. But I assume as long as I was in a wifi spot (hotel, cafe, bar, etc...) that the phone should still be able to connect and use those video chat apps? Any help or experience with this?

I am hoping there is some type of setting I haven't found yet that basically turns off the cellular network functions of this phone, but keeps the wifi option available.

Advertisement
  2. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

3. deceptibum

I understand I won't be able to use the CDMA cellular function(3G or 4G). My question was to know if there is a setting that turns that part off and just use the wifi function which should be able to work anywhere in the world there is wifi available.

4. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member

This is just silly. Please do a little research before you try to assist people.

Using your phone outside of the US is only smart if you don't mind getting buttraped by the charges. Your best bet is to use wi-fi at your hotel, coffee shop, etc...I can't verify which apps will work over wi-fi. If you DO decide to use the local cellular network, go to this site:

http://internationalroaming.sprint.com/IntlCoverage/WelcomeRoaming.do

Select your country and city, and you can see what's available and how much it will cost you. For example in Brazil, the rates are as follows:

Voice Pricing: $1.99/minute
    Data Pricing: $0.016/KB
    Special Data Pricing: 1x Data: $0.006/KB
    Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Recv'd: $0.05/msg

I'm pretty sure you'll have to "activate" international calling. Check out Traveling Internationally for more info. Have fun in Brazil!

5. deceptibum

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I have no intention on making any calls or texts while I'm there....way too expensive. I was just wanting to use a wifi spot to try out Fring or Qik. I can only guess there is no setting to basically just turn this thing into a wifi device only. I am curious when I get there if it will just search aimlessly for cellular service. I will let you all know when I get back next week.

6. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Go to Settings -> Wireless & network settings -> Check airplane mode to on and it will turn off cellular data (and save you battery)

Once the airplane mode is on you can turn on wifi and it will work.

7. lotto0901

lotto0901 Member

Please report back with how this works out for you. I travel back to Brasil frequently to visit family and would like to know as well.

8. Shenaniganz

Shenaniganz Member

I am in Turkey right now. I use my Evo all the time. I have the airplane mode on and just use wifi all the time. It's really nice to just have the wifi app right on my home screen to simply turn on and off.

9. deceptibum

Thanks ap3604 and Shen. Shen, I assume that when you do this, there is still no charge for just using any free wifi spot you happen to find there?

10. Shenaniganz

Shenaniganz Member

Yea as long as it's public wifi it's free. Lot's of wifi where I'm at so I'm having a great time on it.

11. deceptibum

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be in Rio over the weekend. Will let you all know on Monday how it went!