• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using FoxFi For Bluetooth Tethering

droidfan47

Dec 29, 2010
Hello all,

I have a Nexus 10 that I currently tether to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus via FoxFi wifi hotspot. I'm going to be getting an S5 this week and I understand that once I switch my phone to a KitKat phone, I will no longer be able to tether wifi with FoxFi. In preparation for this, I started practicing tethering my Galaxy Nexus to my Nexus 10 through Bluetooth and USB connections, and for the life of me I can't get either of them to work.

Does anyone have any insight or feedback on how to get these connections to work? It seems that most of the instructions on the FoxFi website are for tethering from phone to a laptop as opposed to a tablet.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!​

Tethering adds a wifi access point to your phone (the one that has the data connection). What you connect to that wifi signal doesn't matter - desktop, laptop, netbook, tab or phone, they're all the same, consumers of a wifi connection.

Tethering using Bluetooth requires that the Bluetooth stacks in both devices have file transfer protocols. If one of your devices doesn't, it's just not going to work. There are probably wifi tethering programs that will work on 4.4.2, though, just not FoxFi. (First make sure that the S5 doesn't already have a tethering setup in Connections before you start looking for an app.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones