Using G1 on trip to EuropeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. relativistic

relativistic New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm interested in replacing my current TMobile phone with the G1. However, I'll be needing to travel to Europe for a few months, and would like to unlock it and use a European sim card while there.

Talking to the guy at TMobile, he said it won't work with a non-TMobile(US) sim card, as you won't be able to sign onto you google account. He checked with two Android experts for me.

Now... I see stories of people using unlocked phones in Europe. So, something is screwy. The only thing I can think of is that once you use it in the US, it can't then go to Europe?

Can anyone resolve this? I'd like a G1, but I need a phone to use in Europe. Any first-hand accounts of unlocking a phone you use normally with a US account, and using it in Europe with a local sim card there for a period of time, would be great!

Advertisement
  2. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a European T-Mobile SIM work straight away without unlocking?

That was a rhetorical question

3. Fixxer56

Fixxer56 Member

In this case, can you buy a european sim card once you get there, or even buy one online?Also, do you need to notify T-mobile US you are going to use it overseas? Thank you

4. johnnewhouse

johnnewhouse Well-Known Member

would this also work the other way as well?
    i have a UK G1 on T-Mobile UK. i am going to be in the states for 3 weeks in July. could i purchase a T-Mobile US sim and use that in the UK G1.

if so, does anyone know if T-Mobile US do 'pay as you go' on data as well as phone calls?

5. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

I think it's called pre-pay in the States, could be wrong

6. relativistic

Thanks for the replies.

So, you're all saying that this should work. It is my understanding that this is what most phones can do. However, the TMobile guy said that this was the only phone that I'd have this trouble with. He said pretty much any other phone he could sell me would work. Is it at all possible you're giving me advice based on other phones?

Do you know anyone for whom this has worked with personally?

Sorry to be skeptical. I'm just nervous about buying this expensive phone and it not working.

Thanks again.

7. michamicha

michamicha Member

Yeah, I bought an USA G1 and was able to use my Dutch T-Mobile SIMcard right away. Though you could buy an unlockcode for only $22,-
    http://www.htccode.com/

8. relativistic

Ah cool. I can actually wait the three months and TMobile will unlock it for me.

There's wouldn't be any difference if you've already used the phone with TMobile US service would there? I'm very ignorant as to how this stuff works.