1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Using Galaxy tab 2 10.1 with a video projectorTips

1. metropol

metropol New Member

Looking around on the internet to see if I could find an adapter that connect my tablet with a vga video projector. Haven't succeeded yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. fugi1967

fugi1967 Member

Hi

No such vga adaptor is available, I am trying to use the official Samsung HDMI adaptor with no luck. I have called Samsung (twice) for them to say the tablet has no hdmi out or for that matter any wired connectivity out!!!! They want you to use the allshare app which is not practical for most things.

The HDMI adaptor is only compatible with the 10.1 (not 10.1 2) as verified by some people who have posted reviews on Amazon

I am very disapointed, this is a major step back for a portable device and restricts its usefulness.

Fugi
  3. metropol

metropol New Member

Jeeezzz, if this is true I'm also very disapointed. To ship a device without video out in the year og 2012 is very very strange. Which projector supports all-share? All-share only supports media files (as far as I know). This was a major setback.

Thank you for the reply Fugi!
  4. fugi1967

fugi1967 Member

The Samsung guy suggested I took it back and paid extra to purchase a 10.1 model. I had thought of that but it does not have a micro sd slot which I also wanted, this deficit put me off purchasing an Ipad or Xoom 2 in the first place.

He also said it was a budget model to explain the lack of functionality. I do not call
  5. xiteg79

xiteg79 Well-Known Member

Fugi I can see some of your issues here but 300 euros is a budget Tablet considering the regular 10.1 and iPad can easily go over $600. 300 is really a budget device. Also you want to do presentations but you are asking a tablet to now function as a laptop. I do a lot of work on my tablet and I can see some times where having the ability to project but I also realize I have a tablet which is meant for portability.
  6. fugi1967

fugi1967 Member

Hi Xiteg

I take your point, however I saw the cost as the price of technology coming down as it does over time (same featues or better made cheaper). A faster processor, more ram, 3/4G capability, multi tasking capabilities, higher resolution screen are all features I accept are premium features and would cost more.

To me a basic function though of any tablet is to be able to take it to others and show pictures or videos on a TV. As you say a tablet is a portable device & to me a portable device is something which moves and functions anywhere.

Even with the processing power of a netbook there is a vga socket on it for multiple displays and that is a budget PC.

Fugi
  7. Rollinblue

Rollinblue New Member

I have the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, i purchased a Samsung connector which connects to the samsung and to the AV connectors on my TV, however i don't get any picture through to the TV, anyone know why?, or could it be as simple as there is no output from the Tablet, if so why sell the connector ?????.
  8. pegashus

pegashus New Member

I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which I use for PowerPoint presentation. I bought a Samsung Tab HDTV Adapter Cable and a cheap Infocus IN10 projector (eBay, $70, 1400 lumens, 2.5 lbs., only had 150 hrs. on 4000-hr lamp), and an M1-HDMI cable (Monoprice, $12). Use the built-in Office Suite-compatible software that comes with the Galaxy Tab. Total weight (important for travel) is less than 5 lbs./2.5 kgs. Note: YOU HAVE TO plug the Tab's own power cable into the HDTV adapter next to the HDMI port in order to power the port! All this works because it's all DIGITAL (VGA is analog, HDMI AND M1 are both digital connectors). TAB -> HDTV adapter cable -> HDMI/M1 Cable -> Infocus projector = portable powerpoint presentation gear.
  9. pegashus

pegashus New Member

The Samsung HDTV adapter has a 30-pin connector for the Galaxy Tab on one end of the short cable. The other end has TWO ports: one female port for the HDMI cable, the other female port is for the Galaxy Tab's own power adapter. When I first tried it, I couldn't get any response, like it wasn't there. I plugged in the power adapter to the HDTV adapter, and it worked like a charm. Don't know why it needs power, and mine had no instructions, but that's what that port is for, so use it and see if it works.
  10. junebug1701

junebug1701 Member

Looking at the Samsung site, I see 2 HDMI adapters listed. The first one says it's compatible with the Tab 2 10.1, the model number is EPL-3PHPBEG. Another one is model number EPL-3PHPBE which doesn't say which Tab it's compatible with. They also indicate that it's a powered cable which means you need to have the power adapter plugged in. Also it says that it supports video, pictures, and presentations. This tells me that there won't be any screen output unless an app like video player is running. This is all speculation on my part, I have not used the cable.
  11. rjpfeiff

rjpfeiff New Member

I found the same thing as junbug1701 - two different adapters and Samsung's own site stating that the BEG model is compatible with the tab 2 10.1 when the reports from people state this is not the case. And there is silence about the BE model on compatibility.
    Does anyone know if Samsung is working to fix this adapter problem? Someone on another site thought it could be compatibility with ICS but I don't really know if that would be the issue. I am so frustrated by this. I bought my Tab 2 10.1 from Verizon and the rep there told me that tab was able to output to TV and would mirror my tablet's screen, how wonderful it would be to stream downloaded video through HDMI output, etc. and sold me their multimedia dock (which is really only single media!), HDMI cable, etc. When that didn't work, I picked up a VGA from Verizon that says it works with the Galaxy Tab, but it must have been for the 1st gen tab rather than the Tab 2. No output from the adapter. Even my 2.5 year old 1st gen smartphone can output video through a micro hdmi cable! I don't mind as much about there not being any microHDMI or microUSB port if Samsung just made some sort of adapter that actually worked! Although this may be a "budget" tablet as others suggest, I just cannot fathom how Samsung could have not anticipated either problems with the compatibility of their output adapters (HDMI & VGA) or had updated adapters to address this issue. At least communicate that they acknowledge that their adapters don't work and they are working on the issue! I had packed everything up last night to return the Tab until I realized that I was 4 days too late to return it. I am so livid about this. I felt last night that I should have just gotten an iPad, but I was hoping that others may have some helpful/more constructive thoughts or suggestions.
  12. junebug1701

junebug1701 Member

13. thepfy

thepfy New Member

The HDMI cable works on the 5113 model which I believe is the North American Wifi Only 10.1 Model.

However, it does not work with the 5110 model, which is the European equivalent.
  14. schneidr

schneidr Active Member

Repost:

Just wanted to confirm that HDMI streaming works between my P5113 and my two Samsung TV's via the Samsung EPL3PHPBEGX adapter. HDMI sound also works through my Sony AVR.

The cable has been scarce but I got one through BH Photo.

The P5113 is the Tab 2 10.1 WiFi only. I should add I'm on the official Jelly Bean update. I got JB before I got the cable.

I tested it with an HBO Go movie. If your equipment is not HDCP it will likely not work.