Using Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as Primary Data-Only PhoneSupport

1. markpan

markpan Member

Hi,

To save costs and avoid the new (and highly expensive $40/smartphone) plan, I was thinking of switching to a small 4G tablet and using Google Voice and GrooVe IP to make it into a nearly full-fledged phone.

My concern is battery life. If the 3G/4G data connection is constantly left on without sleeping, how long can the tablet last? I've only seen stats for the Tab's video and standby time, and I'm not sure how an active 3G signal compares.

Also, are there any other issues you can foresee?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. artbytes

artbytes Well-Known Member

I am getting one of these tabs for my grandson and was going to set up the Google voice, too. That way he can call us without using his parents' phones. I can't tell you about this tab in particular. However, my 10.1 tab lasts longer than a day with data running. I'd imagine that you would just have to charge every night like you would charge a phone. Let us know how it works for you.
  3. markpan

markpan Member

bump...
  4. Thechidz

Thechidz Well-Known Member

I bought a wifi one for my mom for just this purpose and plan to get an LTE version for myself to do it. The wifi battery lasts plenty long but I guess that doesnt help us much with this question
  5. artbytes

artbytes Well-Known Member

I just found a good app to help with this endeavor. It's Startup Manager. It automatically starts Talkatone or GrooveIP or whatever you are using when you boot up. That way it's always ready to receive calls. They don't have to remember to turn it on themselves.
  6. Zipzag

Zipzag New Member

Being in canada im lucky enough to get to use the Fongo app on my tab2 , I use it as my home phone no costs associated .
  7. I too have been using Fongo over data for the last four months. It is Voip with a real phone number - you can even transfer your existing number to them which I did with no problem. I don't pay for voice minutes any more and haven't had a cell bill over $17 since. There are plans that would allow you to pay only $5 if you almost always talk over Wifi. What is really awesome is the free calling within Canada, free roaming, free excellent voicemail, emailed voice messages. I use it on both the tablet and the phone. A tablet plan sim works fine in the phone, just don't tell them that's what you are going to do or they won't sell it to you. And don't use the non-Fongo dialler. I tried it to see what would happen and they charged $1/min (I was only on it for a few seconds). The only downside is they are planning on showing ads which will suck but they have to make money somehow. There has also been a tendency for a bit of a delay at the beginning of a call when on the phone (not on the tablet) and I think that is due to it adjusting to the slower processor. Either that or the carrier trying to downgrade the quality to get me back to voice! (I doubt that)
  8. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

From my understanding, data uses more battery then wifi, how much a tablet will use I can't say. I have my Tab 2 setup with GV & Talktatone but don't use it alot.