using generic charges

Last Updated:

1. v4705

v4705 Member This Topic's Starter

hi,
    i forget my original charger at home so i got a new one from at&t (didn't find t-mobile), generic one, with the same connector and the guy from the store said it will work fine with captivate (that should be the same as the Vibrant).
    when i tried to use it, it charged my phone but the whole interface was laggy and didn't get half of my touch pressing (the other half did something else like pressing the wrong spot).

anyway i thought its a bad charger so i get a new one from RadioShack... that do the SAME problem.
    then i tried some electric shop that told me theres a difference between this chargers and i need to get the Palm Pre charger and not Motorola/BlackBerry, but still both of them did the same problem (again, all of this stores got only third-party "generic" chargers and not originals).

anyway i got home and charged with the original usb wall adapter and usb cable that came in the box.

so, WHAT THE HELL was that?!?! why can't i charge with a regular charger?

thanks.

Advertisement
  2. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

Ummm.....what? That's strange.

Any micro usb charger should be able to do the job without any problems. I recently used my Motorola micro usb charger that is meant for my bluetooth headphones and it worked fine without any problems. Perhaps factory reset will fix the problem, but don't quote me on that.

3. v4705

i tried now apple's usb-wall-adapter and micro-usb data cable that i got with some device (BT or something like that, i don't remember) and it works great.

so i don't understand what it got against regular chargers with cable, maybe they have different/less wires inside?

4. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

It shouldn't matter at all really. They are all the same thing more or less.

5. shadow300z

shadow300z Member

I got a couple of cheap generic chargers off ebay, and they have the same problem as OP. They say they are charging but while they are plugged in the touchscreen doesn't respond to anything. I ordered some Samsung OEM chargers so hopefully they'll function a bit better.

Not all chargers are made equally.

6. v4705

ok so my problem isnt the chargers, I just tried the original that works in my home and it doesnt work anywhere in the mall (i tried in 3 different stores)

All the other emploees charging their phones without a problem so I believe that's not the mall's fault.

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I have a cheap ebay travel charger that, when I tried with my X yesterday, renders the screen pretty much non-responsive.

Had the same issue with my incredible and thesame charger.

8. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

Interesting to say the least. How about using a micro usb cable and usb to ac adapter? Not the ones that came with the phone. See if it produces the same problem.