• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using GMail to send out one email to a group

I'm as new to GMail as I am to Android (started using both last Thursday). I've setup a group of particular people within my Google Contacts who I intend to email on a weekly basis. If I were to type in just the name of the group in the "To" field on my Droid, would GMail know to send it to the appropriate parties? If not, could would I be able to go to the GMail website from the android and accomplish the same thing?

Groups is one of those things I haven't really figured out yet. Anyone with any info on this please respond, it would be helpful.

I have my contacts sorted into groups in my GMail account online, but I cannot see any way of making use of them from the phone.

I also remember that there was another thread on the forums a couple of weeks back about this but I don't see it anymore....

Upvote 0
Try going into your contacts. Search for your group, hit the Menu button on the Droid X and a list of choices pops up at the bottom. "Send message", "Send email", "Create event". The only problem I see is that you can only have 20 contacts in a group.

Let me know if it works...

You do realize that you're replying to a post that is 21 months old, when we were on a different version of Android than we are now?

Upvote 0
I experimented and found a way to create email groups and send to them on the android gmail program.:)
Create a new "regular" contact and label it "XXXXXt Group" etc. On an email line add the first email, ending with the right arrow (>). Then put the comma and a space and start the second email with a left arrow (<) and finish it with a right arrow (>). Do this until the last email and leave the last right arrow off.
Then when you create an email from this "group" the email program supplies the first and last arrow and it works!

The line looks like this email1@email.com>, <email2@email.com>, <email3@email.com>, <email4@email.com

I found it easier to create the groups on my laptop in the gmail program, rather than on my tablet.

Reactions: FisherOfMen58
Upvote 0
This is ridiculous. How is it that Google, developer of Gmail, and Google, developer of Android, cannot get their act together and allow Gmail Groups to be used in their Android Gmail app??

I'm curious, how do Google employees send messages from their Android phones to a group of their coworkers? They use some third-party app like Contacts GroupU or the phone's Contacts app? Surely this can't be so...

Even with third-party workarounds, the lack of integration between Gmail Groups and the Android Gmail app is disconcerting. It does not allow users to simply forward an e-mail to a group of contacts. And it reveals a big, gaping hole in Google's efforts to integrate their products for a seamless user experience. Please fix this, Google.

Upvote 0
Kind of tricky, but works:
Go to Contacts > Groups > Select Group > Menu > Send Email
Sends bulk email w/o problems.

BTW Yes I know old post... But I needed the help Today.

I never had a Honeycomb device. Is "Contacts" a Honeycomb app? ICS has "People" but that doesn't seem to have a "Send Mail" option. Anyone know how to do this from ICS's People?

Upvote 0
Group action.

Thanks, not sure how to do that, though. I'm starting the People app | Groups | select the Group I'm interested in. When I do that, I have 4 icons in the top right corner of the screen: Search, Add new Group, Edit Group and whatever the 3 vertical dots are called. That one contains Delete, Import/Export, Accounts and Settings. I've done short and long presses in the corners and on the Group name. None of that gives me anything about sending mail.

I must be missing something fundamental but not sure what it is.

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
I never had a Honeycomb device. Is "Contacts" a Honeycomb app? ICS has "People" but that doesn't seem to have a "Send Mail" option. Anyone know how to do this from ICS's People?

Interesting. I'm using the latest ICS leak for the BIONIC, and I can perform a variety of tasks to my group that will affect all contacts in that group.

When i go to the people app, the slide over to the group tab, then i select the group i an interested in, and finally i hit the BIONIC's menu Softkey, and I get a menu that includes send message, send email, create event, etc.

Yeah, good point. I saw the the old thread that had been recently revived and thought I'd give it a try. Thanks for trying ...

It works like it should on ICS

I agree. This crazy. I like to compose and proofread before filling in the "To" box. You just can't insert a Group after composing.

What a dumb oversight.

See above for ICS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones