1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Using Google Galaxy Nexus as PDA Only - QuestionsSupport

1. SmokinLawyer

SmokinLawyer New Member

My Dell Axim PDA is dying. No more pure PDAs available. Planning to use unlocked Google Galaxy Nexus as PDA with phone circuits turned off to extend battery life. Questions:

1) Will the phone transceiver stay turned off when the device is on, simply by not having a SIM card inserted?

2) If not, are there menu settings I can use to keep the phone transceiver turned off as the default condition?

3) If not, is there an app I can install that will force the phone transceiver off?

4) If not, is there any other way to force the phone off when the device is on?

5) Any other tips, hints, warnings or better ideas?

All responses greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
    :
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Putting it in airplane mode should do the trick... Then just turn on wifi
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  3. SmokinLawyer

SmokinLawyer New Member

I'll be a happy camper if it works out that simply. Who'd a'thunk it! Thanks very much for the info.
  4. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

It is that simple. Did that with my old phone (HTC Eris).
  5. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

6. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

7. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

good to know. txs
  8. rparra14

rparra14 Active Member

You can also use an app called 'phone info' to turn off the radio. This will allow you to use bluetooth as well. I use this on my OG droid and still be able to stream music to bluetooth. -Ryan
  9. NaterTots

NaterTots Well-Known Member

This thread has a lot of great tips on how to use a non active phone for many things.
    A GPS, a VoIP phone, texting, voicemail and other things. It's a great read and would apply to all smartphones these days.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/199425-evo-no-contract-question.html

I hope this helps you. Then you could use the Nexus for so much more than "just" a PDA.;)

Naters
  10. SmokinLawyer

SmokinLawyer New Member

All of this information has indeed helped. Thanks to all who contributed. I'll be ordering my new GN in the morning!
  11. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

I use my Incredible as a MP3 player and keep it in airplane mode... it works great. I can just turn wifi on or off if I need it. It seems like I hardly ever have to charge it, and I use it a lot.