• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

using google voice for text messages with handcent?

This isn't the easiest solution, but it works. Have GV set to forward texts to your mobile number and turn off notifications in GV. Then text everyone in your contacts list from GV. When they text you back, it will be sent to your mobile number, but the reply will be a 406 number. Save that number to the contact and then from now on, use your SMS app to text to the 406 number. This way you can use your default or Handcent app to text, but it will appear to the person you are texting that you sent it from your GV number. It's easier than it sounds and once you start doing it, it will make sense.

Upvote 0
This isn't the easiest solution, but it works. Have GV set to forward texts to your mobile number and turn off notifications in GV. Then text everyone in your contacts list from GV. When they text you back, it will be sent to your mobile number, but the reply will be a 406 number. Save that number to the contact and then from now on, use your SMS app to text to the 406 number. This way you can use your default or Handcent app to text, but it will appear to the person you are texting that you sent it from your GV number. It's easier than it sounds and once you start doing it, it will make sense.

I've been trying this method out but apparently my VZW account is showing me use up my SMS when texting to a 406 number thru handcent. Now the weird thing is....i forgot how to stop Handcent from getting all my GV texts. They automatically get sent and while I tried to do what the above post said in reverse, Im lost at exactly what steps i need to take to turn off handcent accept my GV txts :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones