Using Google Voice for texting, getting 2 notifications

Last Updated:

1. iPhoneMilk

iPhoneMilk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else having this problem?

When i get a text i get a notification from google voice, THEN from messaging.... anyone know a workaround?

Advertisement
  2. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member

You could disable text forwarding on your Google Voice account. That way it doesn't also send you a regular text message (and you can save money on the text plan).

3. iPhoneMilk

I actually tried this out already assuming it would fix the issue.

But when you disable text forwarding you don't even get a notification from google voice anymore.

4. iPhoneMilk

Nevermind fixed it guys... if you go into the messaging app you can remove notifications on that by itself. =)

5. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

If you disable text forwarding in google voice you should still get notifications form GV app on the phone. I do

6. yehgermeister

yehgermeister New Member

how do you disable text forwarding? i hate that i receive two different notifications, and the fact i'm being charged for the extra texts.

p.s. if it's the send a text (sms) message to mobile under settings in google voice, it's already unchecked. but i'm still getting notifications under messaging on my phone. :/

7. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

But that solution is going to eliminate notifications from all SMS and MMS messages. If the GV alert is the one you want to eliminate, just change the GV option for SMS forward to your phone.

8. MichaelCampbell

MichaelCampbell Member

And how do you do that? I can't find this option on the GV web page(s)...

9. opgarlic

opgarlic Member

edit settings under your mobile phone number, uncheck the box "receive SMS on this phone" texts will cost you through the "messaging" app....free through GV

PittCaleb likes this.
  10. MichaelCampbell

MichaelCampbell Member

PERFECT. Thanks so much!

11. CycloneFever

CycloneFever Well-Known Member

I'm having a similar problem. When someone sends me a text to my GV number, I get that text but it appears that I also get one in the messages application. I think the solution is in this thread but I just want to be clear.

In GV web settings, I have went to my phone settings to edit them. I have unchecked the box for SMS forwarding. The explanation isn't very clear, but I think that checking this box causes a text sent to your GV number to be forwarded to your regular phone number, correct? So unchecking the box should allow a text sent to your GV number to go to the GV app on your phone, but will not send a duplicate text on to your regular number, correct?

Hope this is right or I'm back at square one. I don't text a lot but getting dinged two dimes each time isn't fun.

12. Wisdom

Wisdom Well-Known Member

On the web client Settings>Phones>Edit (Whatever phone you are using)>UNcheck "Receive SMS on this Phone"

When you've done this, incoming texts will ONLY show up using the GVoice app, and not be forwarded to your actual Verizon number.

The only thing I don't like about this solution is that the maximum refresh rate for the GVoice app appears to only be 5 minutes. It is not a push notification. Can anyone verify if that's correct?

13. CycloneFever

CycloneFever Well-Known Member

Thanks. This is the exact situation I'm looking for. I don't text much so I don't rely on the instant communication and I can live with a slower refresh. But I absolutely do not want forwards to my regular number as I don't have a text plan.

14. Douglas Hughes

Douglas Hughes Member

I am having similar issues to others posting here. I was getting multiple notices and I think that I get why this was happening but I would love some opinions on the following;
    Trying to not pay for texting ( I have a droid and no text plan) I figured out that I have to send texts through voice not messaging. How do I stop texts from my verizon number and still allow them from my voice number on the motorola droid?

and how can I be sure that I dont get 2,3 or 4 notices on texts?

15. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

Rage building...