using Google voice to cancel phone plan

Last Updated: 2012-05-03 01:50:15
  1. miriahj

miriahj New Member

I just purchased a galaxy note and I would like to use it on only WiFi and will be cancelling the plan this month(I only signed the contract so I could get the phone for cheap). I set up a Google voice account and got a free number through Google. I also set up a groove IP account and have the phone working just fine with no service. Now, I want to port the number from my old evo over to Google voice before i shut it off as well. The number for the galaxy is my forwarding number on Google voice. So my question is: once my old cell phone number is ported over and the service gets turned off, will that prevent gv from working? Do I have to have a forwarding number that is on a service plan? In essence I want one phone with no plans whatsoever using wifi, gv, and groove. Can I do this? My eyes are starting to bleed from reading all these forum posts to no avail.

Advertisement
  2. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member

If you port the number you'll owe the ETF.

-Frank
  3. miriahj

miriahj New Member

I'm not really sure what it would mean to owe the etf but I've had this phone number for 8 years and the phone that this number is on is on a pay as you go plan that i hope to cancel. All I need to know is if it matters whether or not the forwarding number is functional since it wont be reviving anything anyways. I unchecked the box for the forwarding number in Google voice