using gps and map without internetSupport

Last Updated:

1. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

How do I use GPS and map without internet?

google maps need to access internet when using it to download maps.

So if outside local area it would be costly, wifi isnt everywhere.

2. deepdroid

deepdroid Member

Google Maps is meant to be used with internet access.
    That's a reason why Android phones are sold together with data plans as they are meant to be always online.
  3. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

There is actually another very long thread (don't have it handy) discussing how to save maps locally to your phone. GPS would not work with this method, but it would be handy if you were ok with the zoom level you saved.

My suggestion to the user was to screen capture the maps needed on their desktop and then email them or save them to the device sd card for later browsing.
  4. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

We need a Google Earth app for Android that accesses a database saved on the Micro-SD card.
  5. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

That would be sweet.
  6. MoreYummy

Sometimes when you are outside your local area, the data will cost alot more. Which makes loading maps from microsd is valuable.

Yes, this is needed. Even paying a small fee is ok. Just like other platform.
  7. jobee

jobee New Member

AndNav2 is a very nifty app that allows to downloads maps and use the GPS offline.
  8. mwburden

mwburden Member

AndNav2 can store map imagery for offline use, but can only calculate routes when you are online. Since Google Maps will cache the map tiles needed for a route that I calculate, AndNav2 doesn't gain me anything.
  9. MoreYummy

andhav2 is useful, you dont even need to cache maps in andhav2, in googlemaps you need to cache again if reboot.
  10. tenderghost

tenderghost Member

11. Dradspin138

Dradspin138 New Member

Mapdroyd is essentially that, an offline GPS system where you download the maps onto an SD card or PC and transfer them. This is good for devices like the Archos Internet Tablets. It works just fine; the maps are pretty solid but there is no search option, so you can type in an address and locate it, it just displays the map and has an instant "locate you."
  12. MoreYummy

Good apps. like you said only missing search..
  13. cyberlizard

cyberlizard New Member

if you want GPS without having to go online consider CoPilot (current version is 8)

14. gggirlgeek

gggirlgeek Member

When you're lost/new in town, the last thing you need is to worry about your data connection. It is inconceivable to me that Google would design the program to require internet.

It never fails: I'm lost, I lose data reliability, Google maps is useless. Nice way to cause a car wreck too. I will try these others but I sure wish I could get Nokia maps for Android.

And why does my phone insist on keeping the screen turned on during navigation, just when I need to conserve the battery? I can hear the voice, don't need to look at it. Should be opt out for people who are walking or not in their own car.
  15. Jack513

Jack513 Member

Check out for offline/onboard navigation software. It is $6.54 on Google Play. They also have MapDroyd (free) & NavDroyd with offline maps. Check it out. 3 1/2 stars. Read the reviews first!
    Hope it works for you.
    MapDroyd works great for me (I Nav. myself with the maps.)
  16. catnamedog

catnamedog Member

Is there an app that can address an external GPS aerial via USB?
    This would present a neat solution, because I have such an aerial that I used on my ancient laptop.