Using GPS and not A-GPSSupport

Last Updated:

1. yashodhan92

yashodhan92 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys i have a milestone and I Live in India. I wanted to know while using GPS is A-GPS being used by default or do we have to get it activated? cause as far as I know GPS is free and we got to pay for a-gps so i dont really want to do that. So what should I do?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

There is a default widgit in the phone you can use to see if the GPS is enabled at a quick glance. It comes in handy for me when I'm trying to save battery life. It's under power when you add widgits.

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Why would you pay fo A-GPS? It does not require data connectivity, only BTS visibility.

4. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

lol I was wondering that myself but didn't want to go there. I've heard of some places charging for that but didn't know much on the subject and I've never been charged so was unsure....

5. WirelessGuy

WirelessGuy Well-Known Member

aGPS does in fact use data. The phone communicates with a SUPL server which gives it location information based on the cell sites the phone "sees". This greatly reduces the "circle" for which the GPS needs to work a solution, greatly increasing GPS position lock time.

6. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Yup, A-GPS uses data. So about that tool to see weather A-GPS or GPS is selected...

Usually I just disable data connections and enable GPS ... this works OK with GPS programs like Motonav, Copilot, Brut Google maps mod which don't require a data connection ... it doesn't however work with the default google maps client because it needs a constant data connection to work.

7. yashodhan92

yashodhan92 Member This Topic's Starter

i dont have GPRS settings on my phone and websites dot load when am out of wifi so does that mean that even my A-GPS wont ork since there is no access point?

8. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You will not pay a dime if your access point settings are not there.