• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

using gps and phone

Jem

Lurker
Nov 4, 2009
I was ready to get rid of my garmin until I realized that while using the gps on the droid you can't make or receive calls. Do you think that might be something motorolla might fix in the future? Being able to be reached in the car is very important to me

I was ready to get rid of my garmin until I realized that while using the gps on the droid you can't make or receive calls. Do you think that might be something motorolla might fix in the future? Being able to be reached in the car is very important to me

I can confirm you can use your GPS while sending / receiving calls. Your GPS runs in the background. For instance, while listening to Pandora streaming radio, the GPS will pause Pandora, announce its directions, and resume the streaming radio.

Upvote 0
I've also received calls while using the GPS. The GPS will continue working so long as you stay in a "cached" area -- you can't use voice and data at the same time, so google maps can't download new areas while you're using voice. The navigation will continue running, though, and you can receive calls while navigating.

This has been my experience in the limited (two) cases when I've gotten calls while navigating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones