Using GPS without a data plan?

1. bob1230

bob1230 Member

I have been looking at various internet tablets with built-in GPS, including the Galaxy Tab.

From what I have been told, it appears as if GPS isn't useful without Google Maps, or some other program, using a 3G or 4G data plan.

But maybe the information I have is wrong? Is there a way to use an Adroid tablet with GPS, but without a 3G or 4G data plan?

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I would especially appreciate info on ways to do this without using several different pieces of software working together - I am hoping that some easy-to-use software already exists (free, or paid.)

Barring that, could I drive to a WiFi spot, then use GPS there to find my location, then use that to plot out a route on Google Maps (or some other program) - and then SAVE THAT INFO to my tablet, so I could drive away from the WiFi spot, and still have the map & directions?

- Robert

Advertisement
  2. pawdog

pawdog Well-Known Member

The data access is for the download of the maps. An app like Google Nav does just what you suggest doing. There are however great GPS Navigation apps that allow you to install maps that work totally free of any data access. Check out Co-Pilot Live, Navdroid and Sygic Aura to name a few.