Using Handcent with Google VoiceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love using Handcent but I do not have an unlimited texting plan. Does anyone know if it's possible to use handcent to send and receive Google voice sms messages?

Advertisement
  2. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

they are two different products, I don't think you can use Handcent with GV as you would like to. It'd be pretty cool though

3. xtiger

xtiger Active Member

Am I the only one that thinks the looks of handcent is a little rough around the edges. The bubbles is a good idea but it seems to be lacking imo. If they ever make it a little more eye candy, it'd be great.

4. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member

That is why I switched to chompSMS.

5. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My problem with ChompSMS is the lame bubbles. I hate just about anything that looks like any Iphone. I just wish somehow I could use Google Voice with handcent.

6. Candroid

Candroid Well-Known Member

You can You have to download the google voice app from the market, from there you can launch the program and send a text through your google voice account. When in your inbox hit menu and you'll see compose...type in your number or the beginning letter of your contact and he or she shall come up...type a message and send! When they reply you will get a notification from google voice...or you can go to google voice on the internets and check receive sms message when you receive a reply or message ( but no good for you cuz that counts as a text)...That I know of if you just use google voice as your main sms client...you should be all good.

I am not sure if you have that friends and family plan where you can send and receive call and texts unlimited to 10 peeps...if you where to add your gv # to your friends and family fav 10 or 5 or whatever it is...it would be free...

7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I do believe you are wrong. you can send and receive txts via the google voice program (this uses data) and that is "free" There is no way to make handscent the default for this method. Would be pretty complicated for handscent to convert txt to data access your GV account and send that way.

So to the OP: No you can not if you want to use the "free" sms method.