Using headphone jack disable phone mic?General

Last Updated:

1. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I like to use my phone as my MP3 player and have an AUX port on my car stereo that I use. On my old phone if I plug headphones or 3.5cable into the jack the phone thinks it has a Mic and disables the one on the phone. So if I get a call while in the car listening to music I can answer the phone and hear the caller through my car stereo but they cannot hear me. Am I going to need a special cable with mic to use in my car?

I don't have my Incredible yet but want to make sure I have all the cables and gadgets before it gets here in a couple weeks. I do a lot of car traveling for business and need to make calls and listen to music.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. jaymf

jaymf Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about this, but I think I remember reading others' experience with some headphones with longer plugs will disable the mic. In my own experience, I use a set of headphones rather than hold the phone to my head and rely on the phone mic and it works fine.

3. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

The cable does not disable the mic. When a call comes in the music stops or pauses depending on what you are listening to, you can speak and they will hear you, and when you hang up you're back to where you were.

4. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Great. thanks guys :)

5. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

Yeah and from my experience so far, the caller's voice comes through the headphones. So in your case, you'll be able to hear them through your car speakers. Should make things easy

6. Dalepa

Dalepa Member

every find a solution to this porblem? My vibrant work perfect, but the new LG g2X has this problem...

7. jruge

jruge New Member

I have the Incredible and also use it in my car, I have found out that the cable disables the speakerphone feature, yes the music turns off and you can hear the other party through your car speakers, but you will have to speak up loudly so that the phone is able to pick up your voice through the phone mic. They do sell audio cables with a built in mic so that it works well. I haven't purchased one so I am not sure of the cost.

8. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

If you want to disable the mic use a widget called "headset blocker". Solved my issues with random FM radio scanning, voice dialing and a few other issues.