• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using in vehicle Via USB

Swamp Ape

Aug 5, 2010
I am pretty sure this has been addressed somewhere, but I cannot find a specific answer in a post. I searched, but I give up.
I want to plug my Captivate into the USB on the front of my Sony deck USB and control it with the radio. I tried setting the phone to Media Player, Samsung Kies, Mass Storage, and PC Internet for the USB settings, but all it will play are the ringtones I made with Ringdroid.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Okay, I just plugged the phone into the laptop and it looks like the stereo is reading the internal memory, but not the SD card. All of my music is on the SD Card. Ringtones are on the phone memory. Any idea how to get the Sony stereo to read the SD card?

My guess is that Sony sees the 1st "SD Card" and goes no further.

You could try unmounting the internal sd card before you plug in your phone - settings->SD Card->Internal SD card-> Unmount; your other option is to move your music to the internal storage.

This is something Sony should address, but I don't know of any other phone that ships with an extra chunk of memory you can use for storage - so it is sort of unique.

Upvote 0
This is something Sony should address, but I don't know of any other phone that ships with an extra chunk of memory you can use for storage - so it is sort of unique.

My BlackBerry Bold 9000 had 1gb of internal storage for media and such, in addition to a memory card slot. When I plugged it into my computer, it was recognized as two separate drives, just like the Captivate.

Although, IIRC, the BB mounted built in first, then my memory card second. The Captivate however loads the memory card first, and the built in memory second.

Makes no difference on my PC... but for a device that can only read one at a time, I can see how the order would make a difference.

Upvote 0
hope that you get an anwer Swamp Ape I have asked this question for over a month even went over the Samsung and asked this question guess what? No reply. I dont think that it can read the SD card is why I believe it is not working. I hope we can get an aswer soon. I have a simple Samsung MP3 players and my usb on my car stero will play it.

David H.

Upvote 0
I copied all of my music to the internal memory and now it plays everything just fine. The only issue I can see is that it pretty much tops out all of my memory. I may have to transfer some of the other stuff to the external to free up space. I am leaving on a 1200 mile journey on my motorcycle around Lake Superior in the morning, so I am hoping to have some tunes. I think I will bring my Ipod with me as a back up.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem in my car, I solved it using an app called "Auto Mount". When this app is installed, you can choose "Charge Only" and your Storage Card will be mounted after about 15 seconds. This way you have the option to either use the internal storage like you are already doing, or use your SD Card. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones