Using it Wifi Only?General

Last Updated:

1. elias4444

elias4444 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm debating between getting the G2 or a Samsung Galaxy S from T-mobile. My main issue though is that 99% of the time I'm going to be around a wireless router (802.11g/n), so I don't want to be paying another $60-$70 a month (or even $40 for data-only) if I don't really need it.

My questions are, if I just buy the phone (off contract of course), can I bring it home and use it with just the wifi? Maybe only active a plan for a single month if I plan on traveling somewhere? Will it still work correctly? Can I just use Skype if I really want to make calls over the wifi connection? Will the local apps on the phone still work if I leave the wifi range (i.e., the music player)?

You'd think I would just buy an iPod Touch or something, but my primary focus is to develop for the Android platform.

Any advice is appreciated!!! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. zuludelta9

zuludelta9 Member

The music player should work even though you're out of Wifi range as it has nothing to do with it. I'm not sure about this phone (i'm new) but with Blackberry some apps work on wifi while some apps work on data ONLY. I'm guessing this is the same way.

I've been using this phone for only one night so I haven't had much time to play with it. All I've been doing is playing games and making sure my contacts are good. Facebook and Twitter seem to work on wifi (I don't have service at work), I'm getting gmail Emails fine, Google Talk works. I can't wait for UMA :)

3. ponickka

ponickka Member

i am running into the same issue. I want to get this one but will buy this outside of contract. However, i am worried that i can't use this phone due to not connecting to 3g/4g service.

I plan to use this with tmobile, but without the data plan. will the phone function properly without 3g/4g service?

4. ponickka

ponickka Member

help!!!!

5. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Huh? It will function just fine. If you have a wifi connection, you won't even notice any difference.

You won't get 3G speeds on edge, of course, but it's not like it won't work.

6. moosedude55

moosedude55 Member

I was using it a week w/o data, and it works just fine.