• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

using Maps and a car charger

kwalla

Sep 17, 2011
www.solavei.com
I've noticed that when using Google Maps to navigate from one place to another and my phone plugged into a car charger, the battery will still drop.

Does this mean my charger isn't supplying as much power as the Nexus 5 can take?

Or that's just the nature of using GPS/Maps -- it's going to consume power faster than my phone can suck it in?

I have had this issue with mine. it's possible that the phone is getting so warm due to a)being in a hot car, b)being heated up by being plugged in, and c)using GPS, which also warms up the phone, that is' deciding to not charge, or barely charge, to alleviate the risk of the battery overheating and being damaged.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The majority of car chargers produce somewhere between 0.5A and 1.0A. Check the standard charger for a modern, large screen phone and you'll see it produces somewhere over 1.2A.

Large screens require a lot of power.

If you look around, you can find car chargers that are higher rated. I have one rated at 1.2A which seems to be OK.

Even so, I still habitually turn off the screen when I know there's a long stretch with no turns coming up. My previous charger was a 1A and turning the screen off when not required was the only way to ensure my phone pretty much maintained charge through the trip.

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
One other option (when on long stretches on road) is to turn the screen off. The nav will still work and give you voice prompts at the right time, but shutting off the screen will eliminate a large battery drain.

But to re-state what the others said, with a good charger/cablee, your phone should continue to get charged (my phone stays at 100% when plugged into the car charger even with active navigation use with screen on).
I use a couple of different chargers - one by newtrent (2Amp), and an old T-mo branded one that is a wall charger and car charger in one (not sure of the amp rating) - it looks like this
I use the latter one when I travel - works beautifully!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones