Using Milestone on AT&T with no data planGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ydol

ydol New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 21, 2010
    (If this topic has already been answered, forgive me for reposting and kindly point me to the proper post. I looked, but didn't see these questions addressed.)

I have a corporate supplied AT&T phone with no data plan available. My data service at AT&T is blocked. I cannot add a data plan and retain the 'free' service I currently receive. But, when I am in my office or at home I have wifi available most of the time, and would be satisfied with wifi only. I realize without data service much capability is lost, but my option is to foot the bill for both phone and data service - which I'd prefer not to do. I know it's not the best, but if I don't have to pay any monthly charge, I can live with it.

I'd like to have a physical keyboard and have identified the Motorola[​IMG] A855 MileStone as a phone I think I'd like to have. From what I understand, using the sim card from my current phone will enable simple phone and texting, but not MMS. I know the 3G can be incompatible, but I'm a little confused about MileStones from different countries. Are some models compatible with AT&T 3G? If so, could I activate the 3G on this phone if I purchased the regular phone service with a data plan?

I have heard conflicting information about whether I would be able to use the Android Market with no 3G data connection at all. Is it possible to set up the phone for to access Android Market without a data plan?

I also am curious how I'd get OS upgrades. Are there sources for the new OS versions once I have the phone in my hands?

Thanks in advance for any answers someone may have to these questions.