• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

using "Missed Call" app, disabling onboard notifications, sms

runLoganrun

Nov 28, 2009
hey now,

I got Missed Call app because I liked the idea of different LED notification colors, plus some other stuff. However, when you start program it says to disable droid sms notifications (I think they mean just sms anyways), but I couldn't find that in settings. Also, not crazy about the icon it gives you in notification area, as one other poster pointed out, but I didn't know if that was partially due to having already gotten one notification from standard sms app, it's like a weird white sms icon, with a red exclamation mark, which always make me think it's some emergent notification, when it's just a standard sms. Also- LED was working at one point, but now I just get standard green, I assume this is because notifications is still enabled in Droid settings.

So:
1) Is that the icon you always get, in notification area, for this app?
2) How do I disable sms notifications, or is it all notifications, and does Missed Call replace everything?
3) How's this app working for you, do you like it, is it working well?

Thanks a lot,
rlr

Yes. it is an envelope with a red ! on the side of it. To disable sms notifications go into the stock messenger and click menu, settings, notifications. that will get ride of the double sounds. it works fine for me all the time, just have to make sure the auto start feature is on.

cool, thanks,
I was looking through regular phone settings....

One thing with the appt reminder is that, and I don't know of an app that does this, but maybe there's one out there, I really liked how my ipod would play a notification sound, as well as put a pop-up for reminders, that worked great for me, as I'm frequently forgetful. This one, I guess (it just did it so reminded me), vibrates a couple of times, if you turn that on, and it may have made an email notification type sound, I may have just gotten some mail though, and it does put the tiny icon on status bar, but personally I'd like something that's more "alerting" than that.

and yeah, for whatever reason, still not crazy about that icon for sms, looks too much like an alarm or something, idk, it's picky, but I prefer the standard one, or something else perhaps.

cheers,
rlr

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones