• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Much More Data With LG G3

I came from the Moto X to the LG G3. One thing I noticed was that my data usage has tripled. I loaded the same apps that I had on my Moto X...nothing new. Pulse news, Flipboard, Plume, USA Today, Cnn. I only check these twice a day on the bus to the city in the morning and the ride home in the evening. I have sync on these set to a very long time. At home, I am on WiFi as soon as I walk through the door. I don't stream music or videos. My new month started July 28th and already I have used 470 MB. On the Moto X with the same apps I used a total of 1.5 gb all month. I am really thinking of giving up this phone. Just wondering if there are any ideas from this group. I am also going to walk up the the AT&T store and ask them. I got the phone on July 11th and did notice how much more data was being used until the end of my billing cycle. I ended up using 2.5 GB. I have a 4GB plan. At this rate, I will go way over that without even streaming any music.

I came from the Moto X to the LG G3. One thing I noticed was that my data usage has tripled. I loaded the same apps that I had on my Moto X...nothing new. Pulse news, Flipboard, Plume, USA Today, Cnn. I only check these twice a day on the bus to the city in the morning and the ride home in the evening. I have sync on these set to a very long time. At home, I am on WiFi as soon as I walk through the door. I don't stream music or videos. My new month started July 28th and already I have used 470 MB. On the Moto X with the same apps I used a total of 1.5 gb all month. I am really thinking of giving up this phone. Just wondering if there are any ideas from this group. I am also going to walk up the the AT&T store and ask them. I got the phone on July 11th and did notice how much more data was being used until the end of my billing cycle. I ended up using 2.5 GB. I have a 4GB plan. At this rate, I will go way over that without even streaming any music.
The reason you used up so much data is because you just got the phone. So it will require you to redownload all the apps, download all the latest updates. Once all this is done, you'll be back to your normal usage. I just got my phone a week ago and I'm already using 2GB

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replys, however, I got my phone on July 11th and from the 11th until the end of my billing cycle which was July 28th, my data greatly increased which I knew was the downloading of all the apps. When my billing cycle started atain on the 28th, in 3 days I have already used 469 MB. I just don't think that is normal especially when with my other phone I used a maximum of 2 GB if that a month. I may walk up to the AT&T store during lunch today.

Upvote 0
Nope...have updates set for wi-fi only, disabled auto-sync of pictures, etc and have set all apps to restrict background updates or not at all. Have uninstalled my Plume app and am basically not using the phone to check Pulse News, Fipboard, etc. I could do all of this with the Moto X and had no worries. So I have this great phone that I am only using for calls and text unless on wi fi. Too late to take it back as I got it on launch day. I sold the Moto X or I would go back to it. I am not looking for a used one.

Upvote 0
Well, something is using your data and you need to figure out what it is. Go into settings and click right where it says "mobile data". I don't know if you are familiar with this but I'll assume you are not.

You have a data tracker built in so you can set the slider on the graph to cover any period within the last 30 days based on the billing cycle you have listed (definitely want to set that correctly so you can track your data use).

Below that graph are all the applications that used your mobile (or WiFi) data. I think it only tracks mobile usage by default but if you go into settings you can look at WiFi stats too. The apps are sorted by total (foreground and background) data consumption.

Click on each app and see if something looks off. Do you see any app with really high background usage? I'm sure you'll find an app that has been bad LOL!

Hope that helps. I have some screenshots just in case.

Attachments

• 1406934446321.jpg
    1406934446321.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 1406934456130.jpg
    1406934456130.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 1406934465526.jpg
    1406934465526.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
I'm about 99% sure I saw the following on the G3 &
disabled to cut data use & improve performance:

Lg mlt - wtf? | Optimus L9 | XDA Forum

For hidden menu,open up the dialer & enter 3845*#XXX# (Enter your Model Number in place of XXX)

Scroll down to MLT & disable,then back out of the Hidden Menu & enjoy more RAM & I would expect a drop in unexplained data usage. :)

Again,I'm almost positive I saw this on my G3 (Definitely the G-FLEX),it's a blur to me as I was juggling 5 devices at the time. :pound:

Upvote 0
I switched to t mobile and they are pretty fast, constant lte signal. I chose the inlimited lte 4 g data and its 80 a month, i also pay an addl 10 which gives me an easy option of swapping the g3 when the g4 comes out. Id say its a pretty nice deal, i originally planned on going to verizon... They are nothing but a bunch of criminals. Im surprisingly happy with t mobile

Upvote 0
I'm about 99% sure I saw the following on the G3 &
disabled to cut data use & improve performance:

Lg mlt - wtf? | Optimus L9 | XDA Forum

For hidden menu,open up the dialer & enter 3845*#XXX# (Enter your Model Number in place of XXX)

Scroll down to MLT & disable,then back out of the Hidden Menu & enjoy more RAM & I would expect a drop in unexplained data usage. :)

Again,I'm almost positive I saw this on my G3 (Definitely the G-FLEX),it's a blur to me as I was juggling 5 devices at the time. :pound:

I an unable to get the hidden menu to show up. I'm also using a lot more data than I did on my S4. Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
I came from the Moto X to the LG G3. One thing I noticed was that my data usage has tripled. I loaded the same apps that I had on my Moto X...nothing new.
My new month started July 28th and already I have used 470 MB. On the Moto X with the same apps I used a total of 1.5 gb all month.At this rate, I will go way over that without even streaming any music.

Around the same time, my wife went over the limit, despite hardly ever using her phone for Internet. It turned out the Weather Widget used 470Mb in one week. I suspect it was trying to get location data from a weak carrier. But it also used more than usual data on my phone, on a different carrier. We gave up on the weak carrier, and things are back to normal.

What I'm saying is that the increased consumption of data could be due to passage of time. Applications get updated, go through versions, and occasionally get it wrong. Until a newer version is made available.

Upvote 0
I purchased the two G3 on 8/17. One for wife & one for me, we have 2g of shared date and thus far have only used 157m (cycle ends on 9/13) between the 2 of us.
I use wifi any time it is available & also clear out all recent apps when not actually using them. Some recent apps stay active even though they are in the background.

Upvote 0
Well, something is using your data and you need to figure out what it is. Go into settings and click right where it says "mobile data". I don't know if you are familiar with this but I'll assume you are not.

You have a data tracker built in so you can set the slider on the graph to cover any period within the last 30 days based on the billing cycle you have listed (definitely want to set that correctly so you can track your data use).

Below that graph are all the applications that used your mobile (or WiFi) data. I think it only tracks mobile usage by default but if you go into settings you can look at WiFi stats too. The apps are sorted by total (foreground and background) data consumption.

Click on each app and see if something looks off. Do you see any app with really high background usage? I'm sure you'll find an app that has been bad LOL!

Hope that helps. I have some screenshots just in case.

Since the OP never came back after trying this, I'm guessing he either figured out his issue or returned the phone. It would be nice to know what it was, though.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

My wife and I both have the G3 and have the same problem...we used to have 4 GB with our razr maxx phones that we had and we never went over we now have 6 GB and we've had our data turned off since last weekend because we're about to run out...we have Wi-Fi at home also... It's definitely something with these phones...we don't do anything different from what we did with the razrs...it's all a scam

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones