Using Multimedia Dock in the Car...Possible?

Last Updated:

1. dougiesgoindeep

dougiesgoindeep Active Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the car dock and I do not like it. I wish you could just set the phone in the car dock and have it charge without plugging in the charging cable separately.

Would it be possible to use the multimedia dock as a car dock? It seems like the only difference is the polarity of the magnet. Can that easily be reversed (cut out and turned around)? I already have an adapter to plug the USB cable into. 3M makes a great double-sided automobile tape that would hold the dock to the dashboard.

Anyone with a multimedia dock willing to try it out and report back?

Advertisement
  2. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

If you're thinking about cutting out the magnet in the multimedia dock so it goes to the Car Home screen like the car dock does...why not just modify the car dock by cutting a hole and gluing in the USB for the charger?

I'm personally going to wait a while to see what 3rd party car mounts become available. ProClip are always my favorite, and while they have a "Coming Soon" link for the Droid that seems to be a plain old holder (no magnet, no charger), they have offered several in the past for other devices that have the charging cable built in.

3. dougiesgoindeep

dougiesgoindeep Active Member This Topic's Starter

There is no material near the charging port to cut a hole on the car dock. You would have to add a lot of material and do a lot of engineering to position a charger to plug in automatically when docked. It seems like it would be a lot easier to just get a multimedia dock and reverse the magnet.