Using my Droid as a Radio...looking for a way

1. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

Looking for an app that I can use to listen to "live" radio. I enjoy listening to live sporting events (Baseball, Football, Basketball) and am unable to figure out how to listen to the games live. I have IHeartRadio and while I love the app, it does not stream live sports (at least not for the teams I follow...Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds and Ohio State Football & Basketball). Anyone know of an app that will allow me to turn my Moto Droid into a radio?

Advertisement
    :
  2. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

Try "A Online Radio" DroidLive and or StreamFurious. All three let you listen to online streams of almost any radio station. Just use your browser to find the station, hit the "listen now" link and when asked pick one of the apps.
    They all seem to work just about the same, only difference is the interface. I've tested all three and they all seem to drop out about the same amount.
  3. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

I have both "A Online Radio" & "DroidLive"...but when I try the "listen now" link in the browser, I do not get the option to choose one of these apps, instead I get a message that says I need to install "Flash Player". Obviously, I am unable to do that at this time.
  4. Coogi

Coogi Well-Known Member

iheartradio is actually really nice.
  5. Snaz

Snaz Well-Known Member

I agree...
  6. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

A Online Radio or RCherry Player (they look alarmingly alike).
    Both feature a browser built-in with all sorts of suggested feeds.

If you want to use the Droid to browse for feeds, Dolphin Browser behaves well but not all feeds will be playable with these players.

I use AOR the most and it has a complete Shoutcast directory inside so you don't have to use a browser. You can also favorite the ones you like. I listen to all sorts of stuff, including scanners, via the Droid and love it.

As a last resort, if you can find the URL used for the feed, you can type it into a player.
    Psychokitty likes this.
  7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

launch droidlive and then use it's search function to search for the station you want to listen to. if it's in shoutcast you can add it as a station.
  8. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

Sounds like this post was looking more for "local" radio stations. If that is the case, then iheart radio is probably the best. If you are only looking for music and don't care about local "talk" radio (yes the internet has become my main feed for actually listening to music), then I think DroidLive is one of the best out there.
  9. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Droid's fm reception capabilities are currently under development, fyi.
  10. Hoss

Hoss Member

+1 for iheartradio.

It will stream/buffer from time to time, but a good option.
  11. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

...interesting...if that is indeed true, it would be a great addtion to my Droid. FM radio reception is what I want.
  12. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

Yes, this is what I am looking for...the capability to recieve "over-the-air" radio transmissions. I want my Droid to behave like a radio
  13. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo New Member

iheartradio.... It does not have every local station in my area, but it has a bunch. Most importantly it has my favorite 3 stations. I have 18 presets in my truck, but really only use these 3. So it is perfect for me
  14. HardCache

HardCache Well-Known Member

iheartradio is good, but will only support Clear Channel Communications radio stations.
  15. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

...so, it looks like right now it is "iheartradio" or nothing as far as over-the-air radio reception. "iheartradio" is great and I use it almost daily, but it does not meet my needs for "live" sports feeds for the teams I follow...Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds and Ohio State Football & Basketball. So...are there any apps that allow an user to listen to live sports broadcasts?
  16. dgravo

dgravo Member

I believe "Radiotime" has WKNR 850 am.
  17. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you listed the radio stations that broadcast the teams you want to follow we could try to find an app that allows you to listen to their online simulcasts.
    I find "A Online Radio" and streamfurious to play well with most types of streams. I have yet to find a player that will let me listen to WDST Woodstock's local fm station. I get the same "Install Flash Player" message.
  18. tfleming23

tfleming23 Well-Known Member

There is an app in development that will be offered for any subscribing radio station. Here is a link to what it will do. The rollout for Iphone is beginning now, and they are in alpha testing for the android version. Check it out, the demo of the app starts at 3:18 of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by5jgZKW3Jw&feature=related
  19. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

the above app looks pretty cool, I will check it out once it is available.