Using my Evo as a Hot Spot

Last Updated:

1. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

:) Outside in the garage..cause it was raining. Using my Evo as a hotspot for my iPad enjoying a beverage and Trolling the forums..life is good.

Advertisement
  2. Wrxdrunkie

Wrxdrunkie Well-Known Member

Nice, I have already used mine as a hotspot to play some Xbox Live :)

Bagua likes this.
  3. bossxii

bossxii Well-Known Member

Question for you, I attempted to do the same, but the speed seems to be very slow hooking up to the Evo. It seems to be faster in a 3G area, pulling around 1mb down, while in full 4G the Evo was testing nearly 4mb down but only able to pull 100kb on my tethered iPad and my wires iPhone.

Not sure if I have something setup wrong or what. Any suggestions?

4. hjoneshjones

hjoneshjones Well-Known Member

Really? Did you have any lag?

5. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

see, who said android and apple couldn't play nice together.. its like peanut butter and jelly... ham and burger..... :D

6. Wrxdrunkie

Wrxdrunkie Well-Known Member

Nope, it was great :) in COD4 and Halo 3 I was one spot away from full connection strength (in-game)

Halo did give me the message that my NAT was moderate but it still found games.

One thing I have found is that my ipad tethering speeds are a joke.

250kbps down (sorry if I was supposed to capitalize the k)

But speeds with my xbox seem fine, honestly 1mb upload is respectable for online gaming.

7. Dr.P

Dr.P New Member

does sprint Charge a fee for usage of Evo as a Hotspot?

thanks

8. SeriousBlack25

SeriousBlack25 Well-Known Member

even tho you got the Hotspot working..what happens if you use it anyway if you didnt choose the 30 extra? my friend did and he got on Ps3 anyway....

9. Streaks

Streaks Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the 3G that is free, but the 4G is. I think they said they were going to patch it in July sometime

EDIT: thank you for correcting me. I mispoke. -marctronixx

10. bossxii

This is what I was told by a rep on the phone. I added the hotspot feature anyhow as I use it daily at work to avoid the corporate network and the endless restrictions. I've only had a few hours to test it so far but will put it thru it's paces this week. From my house I only pick up 3G but so far it's a steady 1 down, 800kb down but an awesome low ping, usually 100 tp 130.

ATT was tough to even get a signal at my home and was the same speed down, barely 200kb up and ping was rare if it made it under 500ms.

Happy to pay for the freedom, coverage and speed. Moving soon and the new house has 1 bar of 4G in the driveway, hopefully as they build out the network I'll have it indoors as well.

11. JMac202

JMac202 Well-Known Member

I get an avg of 2.7 mbps down and .59 up at my house.

Not bad for 3G.

12. jsward12

jsward12 Well-Known Member

I tried 3g hot spot and it doesnt work, it complains of no data network. So you do have to sign up for it.

13. bossxii

WOW..2.7 eats up my crappy cable that struggles to maintain 2 lol. Can't wait to move at the end of the month. I'll either use the 4G or cable is avail at 7mb if I have to. Rather just use the Evo and not pay the cable co for there shared, laggy service.

The fastest I've seen 3G here in KC so far is 1.8 out away from town a bit, probably caught a tower with very few users on it or something.

14. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Currently about 2.6, no special settings and I did notice some youtube lag but that's because of the iPad itself. iPad even on wifi loading youtube it lags. Although yesterday just youtube on the Evo made me a very happy camper very fast it put my wifi iPad to shame.I also opted for the $30 4g every month.

Long live the Evo.