• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using my phone abroad

lilacwine

Lurker
Jun 30, 2010
Hi
When I travel from Ireland to the UK I can never use my Irish phone.

People tell me that my phone should start searching for available networks when I arrive in the UK. But it doesn't and I have no idea how to make it work so I end up using a pay phone all the time.

Does anyone know if I can maybe change the phones settings so it automatically searches for networks in the UK please?

Thank you x

They still have pay phones in the UK?

If no one pops in here to tell you what settings to change, and you have a SIM card for a carrier that provides service in the UK, go into one of that carrier's stores and see if they can help you.

(If your SIM card is for a carrier that provides service only in Ireland, you're not going to get service in the UK without 2 things - unlocking the SIM lock on your phone (you can find companies that sell unlock codes on eBay) and a SIM card from a carrier that provides service in the parts of the UK in which you need service. The first rule in choosing a carrier is that they provide decent or better service in the places in which you need service. The best phone in the world, with no service, is an expensive paper weight.)

Upvote 0
There are pay phones here, but they are increasingly rare.

Two things you should do:

1) Check your network settings and make sure you have set the phone to select network automatically. If you have manually selected your home network that could be the problem.

2) Talk to your carrier and make sure that roaming is enabled for your account.

There's no way we can tell from here which of these might be the problem, so you should check both.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones