Using Navigation - phone gets HOTGeneral

Last Updated:

1. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone noticed how HOT their phone gets when using the Navigation option on Android 2.1 ? The navi app must be a CPU hog or maybe they've increased the power on the GPS module (isn't it an all-in-one chipset though ?). Try it for even a 1/2 hour and I think you'll be surprised at the temperature.

Advertisement
  2. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

how hot? I used mine for around 30-35 minutes this weekend and the battery temp was 100.5 degrees F. I didn't have the phone plugged in while using it. I don't believe that is abnormal actually.

what temp was yours?

3. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Even just streaming Pandora will heat it up pretty good. Only used navigation for about half an hour but it was pretty obvious its a battery hog. Prolly CPU too so not surprised.

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

While using the Google Navigation, I noticed the warmth too. I checked Spare Parts and my battery's temp was 45.4 degrees C. I guess that's about 113 degrees F.

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I used Navi today and I did notice that the phone was hot but not so much that I was worried that the thing would melt. My phone normally runs at about 40 Celsius. Didn't check temp while running Navi but will next time.

6. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

yup, NAV uses a TON of resources compared to all the other apps. More CPU cycles... more heat. If I am running other apps while in nav, the phone slows down, and keeps my hands warm. lol

this is normal. If they update it and streamline the program it may cool the phone down, but its a powerful app so like any computer it will get hot with a intensive app.

7. lessit

lessit Well-Known Member

Yup, mine's noticably warmer too in Nav mode. In the winter it don't expect that to be a problem but summer, who knows. Some of the thick silicone jackets might keep the heat in a bit more too.

8. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

sometimes i feel like my cheek is on fire when on a phone call it heats up so bad!