using Nexus One with no 3G only EDGE

Last Updated:

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I will be using my new Nexus with EDGE only as I will not have 3G where I am overseas. Is anyone else in the same boat? Just wonder if there are any issues. I assume it will work the same as 3G but slower, how much slower? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Eh, its not THAT bad. Most of the time its just that people are really impatient. Its also because if your paying extra money for 3g then you should get it. If your overseas and have a cheaper plan then there is no reason you shouldn't be happy =]

Just always remember to relax and remember how gifted we are to even have such toys like the N1 and data connection web surfing anywhere in the world (even if it is edge) =P

Frank likes this.
  3. Ryjabo

Ryjabo Well-Known Member

The 3G coverage where I live (South of Provo, Utah) is spotty, at best. I usually turn off the 3G to save battery.

Last night, I had a solid Edge connection when I was at home, and I was downloading some stuff at 20-50kb/sec. That's obviously slower than I'd ever want my own ISP to be, but if you're using Facebook or Email, it's just fine.

Frank likes this.
  4. Zmydust

Zmydust Active Member

I get about 200-250 kb

Frank likes this.
  5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

As long as your not doing any heavy web surfing you will be fine. Find some wifi spots, there everywhere these days

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Frank likes this.
  6. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Been there. Realistically outside of video, streaming, and similar data hogs edge works fine. At times when in spotty coverage edge can actually be faster than 3g in a tortoise vs hare way.

Frank likes this.
  7. Gozer28

Gozer28 Member

Edge is so bad its horribly slow and I don't have the patience to wait out loading a webpage that takes 20 seconds, 3g is way faster, I have to deal with the sucky 3g issues with my nexus going to edge all the time because of the hardware problems with the N1 that is unfixable. I have no choice but to deal with it and its the worst thing ever lol.

Frank likes this.
  8. loganss

loganss Active Member

EDGE really isn't all that bad if you are just doing basic web browsing. If you're just reading articles/text in your browser, I'd recommend turning of the loading of images to speed things up.

When I was on Edge I had no problems getting my email/google voice notifications.

2/3G speeds vary based on your location and network so it's hard to tell how well it will work for you. I recommend that you manually force your phone into 2G to see how it'll be like.

9. atn_chargers

atn_chargers Well-Known Member

Actually edge uses more energy than 3G.

At full throughput (100% data flow) Edge is using significantly more energy than 3G. 3G is more energy efficient.

10. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

When I had a T-Mobile N1 I used it on AT&T on EDGE with no issues, other then it's obviously slower. The funny thing is a I could load a page faster then a iPhone 3G most of the time.

11. Gozer28

Gozer28 Member

I live in Ogden Utah and the T-Mobile 3g out here blows with nexus one, when I had a g1 I never lost 3g EVER, just wish I could have that stable connection with my nex, and lately the 3g has been slower then usual but dint get this way until I installed the new froyo 2.2. Edge is so bad still even just pulling up simple text on the web super slow like 15 20 sec to wait on it, when my N1 goes to edge I dont even try to mess with anything web related at all I just cant deal with how slow it is, totally worthless, its like watching grass grow.

12. ilovellamafood

ilovellamafood New Member

Edge isn't too terrible. Actually, I have less than EDGE and I do fine. I only get GPRS.

13. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

now you know thats a damm lie...

14. EddieEC

EddieEC Active Member

EDGE is enough for me. I'm patient. It's not that bad.

15. Zmydust

Zmydust Active Member

Actually no, My gf has an iPhone 3gs on ATT and my Nexus on Tmobile Edge only will out pace it everytime. We have tried side by side 5 or 6 times.

16. Carlos_Spicy_Weiner

Carlos_Spicy_Weiner Member

When I'm at work my Tmobile N1 sets to edge and it is so slow but if i go to the dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* then go to 'phone information' and change 'Set preferred network type:' from 'WCDMA preferred' to 'WCDMA Only' my phone connects to 3G. 3G FTW

17. martinl1030

martinl1030 Member

I have a TMobile Nexus on ATT and Edge isnt too bad if youre doing basic stuff that's mostly loading text like googling. it only sucks when you go on websites that have a lot of ads/images that take a really long time to load. Surprisingly, edge is fast enough to keep up with loading turn by turn nav maps as well.

PS. cant wait for my ATT Nexus.

18. titan2005

titan2005 Well-Known Member

Does the N1, when on EDGE all voice call get route to voicemail,?
    This is pertaining to EDGE only not WiFi or 3G

19. shttw

shttw Active Member

I can only get EDGE where I work and it's fine for voice and data - voda UK. Slower than 3G of course but adequate, and much better than GPRS.