• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using Note2 or Note8 to make math formulas?

Anyone know if there is a way to write math formulas with the S Pen and have them transcribed to text?

Thanks.

You can both transcribe formula and solve them from within S-Note.

I'm away from home with extremely restricted internet access but very briefly open a plain 'Note' from one of the templates. Experiment with the menus until you see the 'Productivity tools' icon menu. Select the icon having the outline of a square with 'f(x)' at the bottom right hand side. This will split the screen and you can write a formula on the bottom half. After a while the formula will be transcribed onto the upper half of the screen.

You can then select either either 'Search' or 'Insert' to solve the equation using Wolfram alpha. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific but I'm in the back of beyond, without a data link to the phone, so I'm unable to check out the detail.

It works quite well on quadratic equations; gives the roots and plots a chart too! If I recall correctly it solved a simple simultaneous equation as well.

Reactions: kathayes
Upvote 0
Absolutely awesome!

1. Is there a way to mirror/connect a Note2 or Note8 on to a computer so writing these types of formulas can be shown in real-time on a PC or a Mac?

2. Is there a way to get rid of the default yellow-lined paper background and change it to just white paper background?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Absolutely awesome!

1. Is there a way to mirror/connect a Note2 or Note8 on to a computer so writing these types of formulas can be shown in real-time on a PC or a Mac?

2. Is there a way to get rid of the default yellow-lined paper background and change it to just white paper background?

Thanks!

Mirror onto a PC
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImNvbS5zcGxhc2h0b3AucmVtb3RlLnBhZC52MiJd

Closest thing to mirror from Note 2 to Note 8 (or any other tablet that is wifi only or isn't connected)...It's only browser for now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...XNpZ24uc2NyZWVuc2hhcmUuYnJvd3Nlci5zZXJ2ZXIiXQ..
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...XNpZ24uc2NyZWVuc2hhcmUuYnJvd3Nlci5jbGllbnQiXQ..

Upvote 0
Splashtop seems to let you access and control your PC from your Note 2. Does it also allow you to see what you are doing on the Note2? My ultimate goal is to be able to write formulas on the Note2 or Note8 and have it shown on a PC that is connected to a projector or recorded with screen recording software.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Splashtop seems to let you access and control your PC from your Note 2. Does it also allow you to see what you are doing on the Note2? My ultimate goal is to be able to write formulas on the Note2 or Note8 and have it shown on a PC that is connected to a projector or recorded with screen recording software.

Thanks.

Doh...my bad. I actually don't know if there's an app that'll allow mirror of your phone/tablet onto a PC without using an adapter.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

Kath

Not quite the same thing but if you just want a means of easily writing / solving formula on a screen, you could always use PTC Mathcad Express (or even their horrendously expensive all singing, all dancing, full version) directly on a PC.

Upvote 0
1. Do you mean something like this:
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S3 S III / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II MHL HDTV Universal Adapter - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

2. So if it is plugged into the projector with this, it should act just like a computer and the projector should connect to it without any other adjustments to settings, etc.

3. If it is plugged into a monitor or a computer that is already connected to a projector (so the computer does not need to be disconnected), how would the projector switch from the computer to the Note?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
1. Do you mean something like this:
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S3 S III / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II MHL HDTV Universal Adapter - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

2. So if it is plugged into the projector with this, it should act just like a computer and the projector should connect to it without any other adjustments to settings, etc.

3. If it is plugged into a monitor or a computer that is already connected to a projector (so the computer does not need to be disconnected), how would the projector switch from the computer to the Note?

Thanks!

1) Yes, that is what NG was referring to.

2) The projector would have to have HDMI input port w/ integrated volume control/speakers. If there's no form of sound output (e.g. speakers), then there'd have to be some other method for outputting sound (in addition to visuals) via external speakers connected to the Note 2 (e.g. via bluetooth or 3.5mm jack).

3) Same/Similar concept as the projector (needs HDMI input port w/ integrated volume control/speakers), if we're talking specifically about a stand alone monitor. If we're talking about a laptop (w/integrated screen)/all-in-1 CPU, there would have to be an input port of some kind (e.g. HDMI, DVI, or VGA). Without an input port, it won't be possible to display the phone on the computer. Additionally, DVI and VGA would require a HDMI to DVI/VGA adapter and neither output sound, so you'd need an additional adapter for sound to be transmitted to the laptop/all-in-1 CPU.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones