• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using older versions of G+

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
I know i posted this earlier but figure i'd get a better response here. i have tried to use Google+ version 2.x but it always signs in, fails when loading the stream with a pop-up box saying 'No Connection--Couldn't connect to server' and then drops to selecting which Google account to use, which has two options, my default and 'create new'. i'd rather not create a new account as i want my data in G+ to still be intact and not start over. clicking my normal account just goes back to the 'No Connection--couldn't connect to server' dialog.

I still have Talk, uninstalled hangouts, and am rooted. the earliest version i can use is 3.5, which is ok but i prefer the UI of 2.x. i run Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean but not sure if it's a backward compatibility issue. i definitely have an internet connection as everything else works, including 3.5 and up. wifi makes no difference. is there any way, or some type of APK i'm missing that makes older G+ work?

I have tried:

Copying the Google+ 2.x APK to /system/app and reboot
Uninstalling and reinstalling
deleting and readding my Google account
clearing data and cache
multiple APKs for the same version

all unsuccessful. at one point i got a triangle warning asking for permission, so i granted access but still got the 'No Connection Couldn't Connect to Server' box anyway. other tries with alternative APKs would get as far as signing me in, asking if i want instant upload on or off, then would pop up 'Unfortunately, Google+ has stopped' and quit.

Hangouts is a bit better now, not as fast as Talk was but getting there.

Why the old G+ though? Just the UI? I really like their new UI (on phones). The multi column layout on the site is a bit crazy though.

Have you checked clearing data on Google Play Services? (might have other repercussions, backup first, etc)

Also is your clock correct? (this can cause SSL errors)

Just some thoughts, unfortunately it may just not work if they changed something fundamental in the app and the way it talks to the servers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones